Here is the official website of the 2016 French Open (1891). After the first week, the big news in the men's side is that Roger Federer withdrew before the tournament started, and a genuinely devastated Rafael Nadal had to pull out with a wrist injury after his third-round victory.

"Rafael Nadal Pulls Out of French Open with Wrist Injury" on bbc.com

"This is a tough moment, and the toughest press conference I have ever had to give, but it is not the end," Nadal said.

At this point, we're in the Round of 16, and aside from the obvious Djokovic, both Andy Murray and Serena Williams had terrific first weeks. Williams has a chance to tie Steffi Graf's Open-Era Grand-Slam Singles Titles at 22, and Djokovic is gunning for the only major that has eluded his otherwise-illustrious career - this title would mean a *lot* to both of them.

Williams, in particular, positively mowed down her opponents in her first two matches, before showing her resiliency in the third round.

And let's not forget defending champion Stanislas Wawrinka, who - with several other top-flight players including Murray and Kei Nishikori - hungrily await Novak Djokovic on the other half of the draw, an obvious problem is that they have a much tougher path to the championship: Djokovic will almost surely make it to the finals this year, and fatigue may be a lethal issue for his opponent.

Damned if they didn't do it again.

Leander Paes (India) and Martina Hingis (Switzerland) teamed up again, and both won their first French Open Mixed-Doubles championship, giving each of them a Career Grand Slam in Mixed Doubles.

It's hard to believe that Hingis is 36, both because it's so old (for tennis, and for Hingis), and so young (for any other rational standard). She is ranked #1 in the world in Women's Doubles - also having a Career Grand Slam - and has a combined total of 22 Grand Slam victories: 5 in singles, 12 in doubles, and 5 in mixed doubles.

It's harder to believe that Paes is 42, for reasons that need not be detailed. Paes also has a Career Grand Slam in Men's Doubles, and owns the Open Era Mixed Doubles record with 10 Grand Slam victories. He plays for the Washington Kastles, and I urge our Washington, DC members to catch this great doubles player while you still can.

HingisPaes.jpg

Damned if they didn't do it again.

Leander Paes (India) and Martina Hingis (Switzerland) teamed up again, and both won their first French Open Mixed-Doubles championship, giving each of them a Career Grand Slam in Mixed Doubles.

It's hard to believe that Hingis is 36, both because it's so old (for tennis, and for Hingis), and so young (for any other rational standard). She is ranked #1 in the world in Women's Doubles - also having a Career Grand Slam - and has a combined total of 22 Grand Slam victories: 5 in singles, 12 in doubles, and 5 in mixed doubles.

It's harder to believe that Paes is 42, for reasons that need not be detailed. Paes also has a Career Grand Slam in Men's Doubles, and owns the Open Era Mixed Doubles record with 10 Grand Slam victories. He plays for the Washington Kastles, and I urge our Washington, DC members to catch this great doubles player while you still can.

Prior to them teaming up both Paes and Hingis were each already on my short list of players I run to watch whenever I can.  Hingis played for the NY Sportimes (now defunct) when I was a member of that club and had season tickets to the team's matches (only 4 years ago).  She was incredible to watch, both in singles and doubles.  My favorite was the evening she teamed up with Johnny Mac in doubles… she was the stronger partner.  As for Paes, my wife and I go to the US Open every year and we always manage to watch one of his doubles matches.  Years ago it was with the "other" Martina, then (up until last year) Mens Doubles w/Stepanek.  Always great to watch.  What a touch.

This year, we have our tickets and will keep an eye out to see if Hingis/Paes are teamed up (I assume they will be) &, if so, we'll be parked in the stands watching.  Doesn't matter who else may be playing at the time, that's where we'll be.