Popping Sorghum (Similar to Popping Corn) - Where Are Some Local Sources?

pras

14 hours ago, TheMatt said:

I'm pretty sure any sorghum you find might be poppable. I know, for example, that the first recipe on the back Bob's Red Mill Sorghum is for Popped Sorghum!

I used to buy Mini Pops quite often when my local Mom's stocked them. Sadly they stopped carrying them.

Yeah, I figured any sorghum would be suitable for popping, but all sorghum I have found is of the milled variety (I think it would be tough getting that to pop!)..

14 hours ago, TheMatt said:

I used to buy Mini Pops quite often when my local Mom's stocked them. Sadly they stopped carrying them.

I would buy Mini Pops *just for the box* - how can you not smile at their mascot?

Mini-Pops.jpg

8 hours ago, pras said:

Yeah, I figured any sorghum would be suitable for popping, but all sorghum I have found is of the milled variety (I think it would be tough getting that to pop!)..

For those of us not in-the-know (*), what about milling would prevent sorghum from being popped? I know about milling, but only kinda-sorta.

(*) Does anyone remember "Josie and the Pussycats' 'In The Know?'"

Josie.gif

PS - What do you get when you stuff your face with handfuls of popped sorghum after getting drunk?
Sore gums
Well, I *could* have said "A hangover," and it would have been even worse.

8 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

For those of us (like me) not in-the-know (*), what about milling would prevent sorghum from being popped? I know what milling is, but only kinda-sorta.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't milling the process to turn it into flour?

10 hours ago, DonRocks said:

For those of us not in-the-know (*), what about milling would prevent sorghum from being popped? I know about milling, but only kinda-sorta.

Think of it this way.  You can pop whole-kernel popcorn, but you can't pop corn meal.  Meal is what you get when you mill (grind) the kernels.  

Popcorn pops because heat causes the moisture in the kernel to become steam, which expands and finally explodes the outer shell of the kernel, disgorging the inner contents to form the finished popcorn.  It can only happen if the outer shell is intact and holds in the steam pressure for a while so it builds up and finally is too strong for the outer shell to continue to hold it in and the explosion occurs.   If that outer shell is gone, there is no pressure buildup and no explosion. i.e. no "pop."  

• Like 1