Help with a Restaurant Recommendation for a Moderate Dinner in Midtown

B.A.R.

Heading to NYC to see Hamilton this weekend. Due to the cost of the tickets, I have approximately $38 to spend on dinner!!!!

In all seriousness, can I get any recommendations for dinner somewhere in midtown that will be very good but not break me? Thanks in advance

With tickets now going for over $800, what's another $100 or so?  At any rate, you'll be one block away from Restaurant Row (W.46th betw. 8th-9th) & Becco is not a bad choice.  For $24.95, you get a salad and then any/all of the 3 pastas the chef has made for the night (unlimited quantities of it, if that floats your boat).  This is not a crappy place, being the low end of the Bastianich empire.  The rest of the menu is reasonable, but the pasta deal almost fits your budget w/a glass of wine, tax & tip.  YOU NEED TO MAKE A RESERVATION.  It's a big place with lots of rooms but it packs up. 

Or,  if you walk over to 9th Ave & go 4 blocks uptown (W.50th/51st), you'll be at Uncle Nicks, a nicely priced Greek place that has very fresh fish, grilled simply.  The salads, apps & cheeses are good, the fish is the thing to get and, if you stray and get one of the "classic Greek dishes" (pastichio, moussaka, etc) or meat dishes you have no more than an even money chance of it being good.  Lots of Mexican and other small storefront places on 9th Ave as well, but the hidden gem, in my opinion, is a small Druze Cooking (yep, Druze) place called Gazala's Place at 709 9th Ave (off W48th).  If you don't mind an informal but clean setting, you will eat very well for your $38.

I believe all these places have web sites.  Check them out.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steve R. said:

With tickets now going for over $800, what's another $100 or so?  At any rate, you'll be one block away from Restaurant Row (W.46th betw. 8th-9th) & Becco is not a bad choice.  For $24.95, you get a salad and then any/all of the 3 pastas the chef has made for the night (unlimited quantities of it, if that floats your boat).  This is not a crappy place, being the low end of the Bastianich empire.  The rest of the menu is reasonable, but the pasta deal almost fits your budget w/a glass of wine, tax & tip.  YOU NEED TO MAKE A RESERVATION.  It's a big place with lots of rooms but it packs up. 

Or,  if you walk over to 9th Ave & go 4 blocks uptown (W.50th/51st), you'll be at Uncle Nicks, a nicely priced Greek place that has very fresh fish, grilled simply.  The salads, apps & cheeses are good, the fish is the thing to get and, if you stray and get one of the "classic Greek dishes" (pastichio, moussaka, etc) or meat dishes you have no more than an even money chance of it being good.  Lots of Mexican and other small storefront places on 9th Ave as well, but the hidden gem, in my opinion, is a small Druze Cooking (yep, Druze) place called Gazala's Place at 709 9th Ave (off W48th).  If you don't mind an informal but clean setting, you will eat very well for your $38.

I believe all these places have web sites.  Check them out.  

Been to Becco a good number of times.  Great choice for the theater district, the pasta deal is a good and filling choice for the money and if you're gregarious you can chat with folks at adjacent tables.  

I have fond memories of Becco.  Did a pretty large extended family party honoring my dad many years ago.  Lots of great cheer.  I'm pretty sure we went with limited menu choices.  My dad favored heavy garlic and they accommodated the request.  Worked for him and it worked for me.  Probably didn't work for everyone though...to hell with em.  Lots of wine.  Everyone loved the event regardless of the heavy garlic flavoring across the board and the service was remarkably nice.  The staff at Becco was so great that evening.  I think the only issue was that kissing goodbye was rough on the olfactory nerves.

tx for the suggestions on Uncle Nicks and Gazala

• Like 1

Last time I was in NYC, my first stop was at John's of Times Square, on 44th, just east of 8th, and right in the heart of the theater district. This is *not* great pizza, but it's a truly amazing restaurant - and in terms of cubic footage, I believe it's the largest pizzeria in the world (it's in an old church, and the stained glass windows on the ceiling are remarkable in the main dining section). The pizza here is "good," not great, but you'll stay well within your budget *and* be close to the theater.

I also went to Bar Americain for a happy hour - they have some decent bar specials there, and food-wise, it's a big step up from John's. Another massive restaurant, this one meets a certain minimum culinary criteria as well.