Tortas de Aceite (Spanish Olive Oil Biscuits)

silentbob

After our daughter was born last month, some good friends very generously sent us a gift box from Zingerman's that contained, among other things, a package of tortas de aceite.  Per Wikipedia: "The torta de aceite, is a light, crisp and flaky sweet biscuit in the shape of a torta. The main ingredients are wheat flour, olive oil, almonds, sugar, sesame seeds, anise seeds and anise flavor."

The package recommended having them with coffee or tea, and they were addictively good. Light, not too sweet, and with the right amount of olive oil flavor and spice to give it character. We're jonesing for some more. They're a bit pricey at Zingerman's though ($25 for a package of 12).  Anyone know if the specialiy or higher-end supermarkets in the area carry them?

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

After our daughter was born last month, some good friends very generously sent us a gift box from Zingerman's that contained, among other things, a package of tortas de aceite.  Per Wikipedia: "The torta de aceite, is a light, crisp and flaky sweet biscuit in the shape of a torta. The main ingredients are wheat flour, olive oil, almonds, sugar, sesame seeds, anise seeds and anise flavor."

The package recommended having them with coffee or tea, and they were addictively good. Light, not too sweet, and with the right amount of olive oil flavor and spice to give it character. We're jonesing for some more. They're a bit pricey at Zingerman's though ($25 for a package of 12).  Anyone know if the specialiy or higher-end supermarkets in the area carry them?

Maybe try writing Inés Rosales (Facebook Page - website) - it looks like they've made these since 1910, and they claim they're still made in small batches, but who knows? I've found items at Zingerman's to be lacking - it's a restaurant and store that tries to be all things to all people, and as a result falls flat for me.

Better news: They may have these at Yes! Organic Market - I bet I know where you'll be later this afternoon, although why not call first to save yourself a trip?

If these are as hard, dry, and crunchy as I think they are, I suspect they'll keep for months in their container, so examine the expiration date, and then stock up! Then again, olive oil does go rancid, especially in the summer heat.

• Like 1

On June 11, 2016 at 0:52 PM, DonRocks said:

Better news: They may have these at Yes! Organic Market - I bet I know where you'll be later this afternoon, although why not call first to save yourself a trip?

If these are as hard, dry, and crunchy as I think they are, I suspect they'll keep for months in their container, so examine the expiration date, and then stock up! Then again, olive oil does go rancid, especially in the summer heat.

I went to Whole Foods first because it was much closer to home, and unfortunately they haven't carried them for a while.  But then we called Yes! and they do indeed sell both the original flavor and the one with Seville oranges (both $4.99 for a pack of 6).  We've only tried the latter so far and love it already.  Thanks again!

On 6/14/2016 at 9:58 PM, silentbob said:

I went to Whole Foods first because it was much closer to home, and unfortunately they haven't carried them for a while.  But then we called Yes! and they do indeed sell both the original flavor and the one with Seville oranges (both $4.99 for a pack of 6).  We've only tried the latter so far and love it already.  Thanks again!

Now back at Whole Foods!  I've seen them at both the Kentlands (Seville oranges and original) and Pentagon City (rosemary/thyme) locations in the past week.