Little Pepper, Owners Cheng Ying Wu and Gui Ping Huang's Szechuan in College Point

Soooooo Little Pepper has been getting lots of press. Like literally the times did a whole article on just this restaurant. People have made pilgrimages to this place en masse it seems. It's in a very strange location compared to it's counterparts in and around the main drag in Flushing central. This is in College Point. I was a bit skeptical as places that get SOOOOO much press tend to enliven my skepticism particularly when it's been throughout a relatively long period of time. Anywho, I went and had a very nice meal. They have that balance between the sweetness, the savory, and the spicy downnnnn. Sometimes I go to Sichuan restos and they like need to prove that they are from Sichuan and they just go all out on the spice. I can handle spice but having been to the Sichuan province and having quite a lot of experience with Chinese food I've found it's besssstttt when you get a certain balance in the flavors. I got a whole spread despite it being just me based on recommendations from several of the articles I had read about the restaurant. The menu is quite large which isn't strange but it is chock full of very nice dishes some beyond the usual dan dan noodles and such (they have those tooooo and I love Dan Dan just using it to make a point!!). I got the Chongqing Chicken, the Spicy Potatos, the Cumin Lamb, and the Beef Tendons. My two faves were the chicken and the potatos. The chicken had a great flavor but be warned it is very peppery and not to be eaten if u don't really like spiceeeee. Usually dishes like this with diced meat and chili can be mixed in quality I've found. Sometimes the meat loses out to the rest of ingredients!!! Spot on here in my opinion!! The potatos however could be said to be revelatory. Imagine french fries made by a Sichuan chef and thats what its like. I don't even LOVE French Fries and I felt this was a knock out. It had the perfect flavor blend of that herby peppery mouth numbing taste along with the gloriousness of a French Fry put together. SOOOOOO I would def make the trek and go here it's well worth it!!! Maybe ya'll disagree as well perhaps it has declined from a height it was once at before the hype etc LMKKKK!!

• Like 1

Haven't been back this year yet, but am planning on it with several friends.  In my opinion, this has been just about the best Sichuan place in NYC since she moved to College Point from Roosevelt Ave in Flushing several years ago.  Not that it wasn't one of the best then either, but I think the expanded digs have allowed them to cook more evenly and calmly.

Just for some historical perspective, Spicy & Tasty was once, many years ago (20?) on Roosevelt Ave, just past College Pt. Ave (across the street from the housing projects).  It was the best Sichuan place in NYC at the time by far, cramped into a run down, lower level set of rooms that was tough to work in.  Then they moved to a more modern open upscale place up the street on Prince, off Roosevelt (still there and still okay).  Replacing S&T was Little Pepper, which became a favorite for all us food board folk for years (you know: Chowhound, Mouthfuls, eGullet, etc… those folk).  They made enough $$$ to finally move upwards as well, but for some reason decided to go to College Point, a good 15 minute ride away and far from the subway & LIRR.   The first 1-2 years seemed rough for them and we usually found the place ½ empty.  Then they seemed to find their groove and here we now are -- a highly recommended (& deservedly so) place.  

(end of "village elder" history)

• Like 1

Undated - "Little Pepper Hot Pot" on nymag.com [See the post below.]

Feb 25, 2011 - "Little Pepper College Point is OPEN" by johnk on chowhound.com

May 23, 2012 - "Little Pepper: Eat Heat" by Robert Sietsema on villagevoice.com

2016 - "Little Pepper - College Point" on viamichelin.com

Feb 23, 2016 - "Little Pepper Packs More Than Heat in College Point" by Pete Wells on nytimes.com

Little Pepper Hot Pot is long gone.  When they moved the restaurant to College Point in 2011, they put their Hot Pot place in at their old address.  Never caught on and the one visit several of us made there was less than impressive.