Tasting Wines and Visiting Wineries in Virginia near Leesburg

dracisk

I'm spending this weekend in Virginia (in Hamilton, which is just west of Leesburg) with some friends, and we're hoping to do some wine tasting. Can anyone recommended some places to try? None of us is a serious wine taster, but I'd still rather hit some of the better vineyards rather than the worse ones. I saw that someone recommended Hiddencroft Vineyards in Lovettsville, which seems to be not too far away from where we're staying, so I'll put that on my list. I've also seen people praise RdV Vineyards, but I see that they charge $50 for their tour and tasting, and I doubt my friends will want to pay that much (nor do I, to be honest). Plus, it's a 45-minute drive from where we're staying. Is there anywhere else in closer proximity to Leesburg worth checking out?

If anyone has any restaurant recommendations, I'd appreciate those as well. I believe I've read mixed reviews of Tuscarora Mill on this site. I had lunch there maybe 6 years ago and don't remember much about it, and that's about the only place I know in Leesburg or vicinity.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Far from an expert here, but The Barns at Hamilton Station is close and is a very pleasant place on a nice afternoon with both a large outdoor patio and lawn and often live bluegrass music indoors. Wouldn't say their wine is the best in Virginia, but it's certainly not bad and is plenty enjoyable. Really like Aspen Dale Winery, but that would be a longer drive south, maybe 40 minutes or so.

Honestly, you're a bit east of the action for Virginia's better vineyards.  If you're willing to do a drive of just under an hour, Linden Vineyards and Glen Manor are very good wines (not for VA, but on an absolute basis).  The former doesn't allow groups of over six - I'm not sure of the size of your group.  RdV is very good wine, but the $50 expense does put it out of 'just a fun afternoon' range for many.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the suggestions! We'll see how far my friends are willing to drive. An hour drive seems reasonable to me. Looks like if we drive to Linden (I think we're going to be a party of six on Saturday) we could stop at Aspen Dale, Three Fox, Barrel Oak, and/or Cobbler Mountain on the way back, but they're all pretty close to Linden. Does anyone know of anything worthwhile between Delaplane and Leesburg?

I'm glad to know about the closer option of the Barns of Hamilton Station, maybe for Friday or Sunday. (Saturday will be our main day for exploring.) There's also a vineyard within walking distance of the house we're renting -- Casanel Vineyards. Does anyone know anything about them? I suspect we'll check it out due to proximity alone, but I'm curious about any intel.

Thanks again!!

If you're going to make the trek from Leesburg to the Barrel Oak area (officially in Delaplane, VA), skip it Barrel Oak and hit one of the other nearby vineyards.  Barrel Oak has more of bar vibe than a vineyard.  It's loud and crowded and there are dogs and kids running around everywhere.  I'd also skip Cobbler Mountain and Three Fox.  Neither the wines nor the wineries are noteworthy

The best wine and tasting experience in that area is RdV, but the catch is you have to make an reservation for a tasting and it's 50 bucks per person.  That price includes a tour of their amazing facillity, a glass of champagne and a limited tasting of their 2 reds with a bit of food.

Just around the corner is Delaplane Cellars which has a fantastic view, and usually has music in the tasting room on the weekends.  They have reds and whites and also serve bread and cheese plates.

A bit further west and a little south is Linden Vineyards (in Linden) which is arguably the birthplace of the modern wine industry in Virginia.  The vineyard is beautiful and the wine is great, but unless you're a member of their Case Club (buying 1 case per year), you can't buy a bottle to drink on the porch.  You can still do a tasting and I think you can even buy a bottle to drink on the grounds, just not on the deck.

• Like 2

Thanks, Bart! I thought I'd been to Barrel Oak and now that you describe it I realize I have. I remember the dogs and kids. :-) I've read great things about RdV, but I don't think I want to spend $50 there, and my friends won't want to, either.

I think I'll gently push for Linden and see how willing people will be to drive an hour, then we'll figure out our plan from there.

The Ashby Inn is in Paris, VA.....just a couple miles from Delaplane Cellars.  It's a beautiful old country inn that serves great food.  They have a great covered back porch with a beautiful country view.  You can't go wrong eating out on the back porch this time of year.  I'll be there on Sunday with my parent's for their 50th.  

Of the vineyards mentioned, Linden and Delaplane Cellars are by far the most beautiful and have the most dramatic views.  Aspen Dale is nice, but it's in a barn and kind of dark and probably better suited for winter tastings.  Three Fox and Barrel Oak are more places that the wine is secondary to getting people in the door and selling them stuff like shirts, and hats and cutting boards, etc. 

Glen Mannor has great wine, but they don't serve food (I forgot to mention that Linden has bread and cheese plates too) and it's quite a bit further out.  Probably a half an hour west of Linden, so that's really going to be a trek for you.

• Like 1

Yes, I think Glen Manor may be pushing it. I've heard (and read!) about the Ashby Inn but have never been there and didn't realize it's in this part of Virginia. Maybe we'll try for lunch there. Thank you for all the input!

I second what Bart has said. Chester Gap is also excellent and within driving distance of Linden. Closer to Leesburg, 868 Vineyards has a lovely setting, great outdoor space and some decent wines. On weekends they often have food options and they have a restaurant on site. Its perhaps not the best of anything, but all together makes for a lovely spot if you wanted to hang out somewhere for a while.