How do consumers choose restaurants

DaveO

Interesting survey information from an association that primarily represents local businesses, industries that service and sell to local consumers and marketing entities that market to local consumers.   The focus is on restaurant choices.  Its recent data from 8000 survey responses on how consumers choose a restaurant.   The survey group reportedly mirrors adult consumers, hence surveying every age group and demographic from millennials to old timers(baby boomers and older), plus a range of income levels, regions, etc.

Here is the graphic:

how do people find restaurants sur.jpg Lot of overlap.  Evidently consumers will check on restaurants multiple ways.  The data follows up to state that purchases were made following the process.  Mobile apps:  could be something like Yelp, a Maps version, apps for the business. Overall 1/3 reliance on reviews.  and a bit more on suggestions from friends/family.  

The source for this data does extensive research on consumer buying habits as described here.   How do you research and make purchases of local goods and services?   Anecdotally, I fall into the old fogey age category and am more likely to use print sources such as the print yellow pages.  I fall out of the survey norm.  I don't even have a yellow pages and have thrown them out for several years.

Finally if I were a restaurateur, I'd be web oriented;  website, social media, ranking highly, in mobile apps, etc.  Of course if I were a restaurateur in the town with the oldest population in the US I'd probably go into the yellow pages.