Copa América (1916) Centenario, Featuring Teams from CONMEBOL and CONCACAF - Jun 3-26, 2016 in the United States

Ericandblueboy

My hope for tonight's game is that the USMNT gets at least one goal, and doesn't lose embarrassingly.

If they let Argentina have the run of the ball at midfield, bunker in the defensive third, and counter, it's going to be a long night.

I want to see a game like we, under the leadership of Bruce Arena, delivered to Germany in 2002 at the World Cup in Japan/South Korea. Surprise the hell out of them by pressing for 90 minutes.

38 minutes ago, DanielK said:

My hope for tonight's game is that the USMNT gets at least one goal, and doesn't lose embarrassingly.

How often does an American team get to play against Messi?

Note also: "Ronaldo or Messi"

<douche-mode> [It is one of my dreams that soccer becomes the #1-discussed sport in this forum, to reflect the true state of affairs in the world. Basketball and Baseball are wonderful, but Soccer affects more people, and I'll do everything I can to support it - thanks to Eric for having started these two topics.] </douche-mode>

Not knowing much about soccer, but having seen the play, was Messi's free kick the equivalent of threading a needle with a telephone pole thrown like a javelin? It kind-of reminded me of Tiger Woods, ten years ago, hitting chip shots in from 60 yards away on an unearthly consistent basis - it just doesn't seem possible to do this type of thing with any regularity.

"USA Overrun by Messi, Argentina in Copa América Semifinals" by Grant Wahl on si.com

"Watch: Argentina Routs USA in Copa América Semis; Messi, Higuain Star" on si.com

"Watch: Lionel Messi Breaks Argentina All-Time Goal-Scoring Record" on si.com

"Lionel Messi Scores Stunning Free-Kick to Break Argentina Scoring Record" on bbc.com

Sometimes you play a team and they are just better. 

My take away from the game was the speed of play of Argentina.  And I'm not talking physical speed, although they have players that run fast.  But their ability to move the ball quickly, the ability to quickly control the ball and make the next move.  Argentina was playing so quickly and neatly it looked like they had extra players on the field.   

The US just doesn't have that speed of play. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tweaked said:

Well, that was messy.  

Can someone be the greatest of all time if they lose three finals in three consecutive years? 

That game was a mess.  Red cards were given for no reason. Higuain continues to miss shots.  Seriously, Argentina could've won the World Cup and 2 Copa Americas if Higuain could've been more clutch.  In the end, Messi missed his penalty kick, which he did with regularity at Barcelona as well.  Now that he's done with the national team, Messi will never win a big trophy for Argentina.

Well, as you note in the linked post, the Bills made 4 consecutive Super Bowls and lost them all, thus they don't join the conversation of great teams.  Or ask Dan Marino.

Messi will most certainly go down as one of the great players of all-time, but a lack of major trophies with Argentina will always be an asterisk next to his name.

From the guy that I linked:

"So what are we left with after all this? Higuaín is still a very talented striker who guarantees your club goals but probably not in the crucial moments when you most need them. He’s a deserving Argentine international who nevertheless has played a large part in their failures on two of the biggest stages in the sport [now 3, this is the 3rd straight year Higuain blew it for Argentina]. He should probably have a trophy case twice as big as his current one, and with his assistance we should all be able to hail Messi as hands-down the best soccer player of all time. But he doesn’t and we can’t so fuck that guy, okay?"

The choking was actually foreseeable.  An article for Bein Sport had this to say:

"This 2-0 victory has set up a repeat of last year’s Copa America final with the scene of the match now moving a few miles north from Santiago to Nooo Jersey with Chile and Argentina going poncho-to-cowboy hat once again. This means that Argentina – and Gonzalo Higuain in particular – will have the chance to right a few choking wrongs from the finals of yore in Chile and Brazil…or shoot themselves in the foot all over again and have Leo Messi rocking backwards and forwards hugging himself for the rest of the summer."