Shopping and Cooking for Engagement Party for about 40 ppl

ktmoomau

Hello fellow DR'ers,

My BIL is getting married, and my MIL is having an engagement party for him and his bride-to-be in Charlottesville on Labor Day weekend.  There are going to be about 40 people.  She has asked me to help with all the food, which I think I an perfectly capable of doing.  I will have a few days to prep and make food with some help from my MIL and I can also make my hubby and SIL help too.  I kind of/sort of have a menu that my MIL and I are conceptualizing.  I need some help on quantities, other menu ideas, and if there are better places to source certain things, tips on making some of this ahead.  

The menu we were thinking about is quasi Italian so:  Meatballs (thinking need about 80-100?) in marinara (was thinking 1 oz size that they have at restaurant depo all beef, I could make from scratch, but I just don't think it's necessary when I am going to have to prep so much), cheese platter (can likely make this myself with maybe some olives, etc, I could make one large one or two medium size ones), caprese skewers with seasoned mozz balls, melon and proscuito skewers (this is one I am worried about have never balled melon before, may have to practice, I wish I could buy melon balls, I could always cube it, but the melon balls look so precise), antipasto platter, some sort of tortellini likely cheese so it is veg friendly with a sauce? (was kind of thinking a non-nut pesto??), grilled veggies, garlic bread (is there any good recipe for like a rolled bread, garlic bread, instead of the big loaf that you slice variety?), tiramisu or tiramisu cups (I will buy this pre-made), and then another type of dessert (maybe a cake? That we can also buy from somewhere).   I also thought about making pepperoni rolls with this too.  I think I might need another pasta??? maybe a baked penne one with meat, one not with meat?

For beverages, I was thinking a punch of some sort would help so that we don't have to have so much poured.  We will also have wine and beer.  Will have to figure out beverage amounts as they are not very good at that sort of thing.  I guess we might need sparkling wine for a toast.  Is Total wine the best place to go for this sort of thing, price-wise?

Thanks for any tips and suggestions.  

Very interesting.  The price difference between the hardcover and paper and kindle are quite staggering.  That might be one that I need a look-see before pulling the trigger on, unless the hardcover is really the same book?  Thanks.  I probably could use a large recipe book.  I love my Ferran Adria cookbook because he gives you several quantity options.  

Since I'm local to Charlottesville, here's some sourcing options:

I think an excellent place to check in with is the Charlottesville farmers market's. See who has items that you'd like to work with and ask them how they can help. The downtown market is much more established than the new Stonefield one, but both have vendors that you won't find at the other. Mona Lisa Pasta in town does fresh pastas and sauces and can be used as a way to shorten your prep time on your Italian menu. Albemarle Baking CompanyTimbercreek Market, Feast!, and Foods of All Nations would be other sources that would have a more local flair.

I've been doing an awful lot in my pressure cooker these days (see this thread), so that tends to be what I think of immediately for helping out on quick add ons. I've certainly done pastas in there before.

On 6/22/2016 at 8:53 PM, ktmoomau said:

Very interesting.  The price difference between the hardcover and paper and kindle are quite staggering.  That might be one that I need a look-see before pulling the trigger on, unless the hardcover is really the same book?  Thanks.  I probably could use a large recipe book.  I love my Ferran Adria cookbook because he gives you several quantity options.  

It looks like the secondhand hardcovers have some good bargains.

For the sparkling wine, prosecco is in keeping with your Italian theme.  Trader Joes has a house brand that is quite decent, and they are great about returns when it turns out that you overbought like crazy.  

I am pretty sure I have seen frozen melon balls.  You have lots of time to experiment and see if they are acceptable when thawed.  

• Like 1

Yes, I am going to do a restaurant depo run and price things out and then MIL is going to do the same at Costco.  They are going to worry about drinks, so that is off my list.  I just get to think about food.  Will keep an eye out for frozen melon balls around. 

I think the final food list in my mind is: caprese skewers (will make with the seasoned mozz balls), melon prosciutto skewers, meatballs marinara, tortellini with garlic butter cheese sauce, baked ziti (one veg, one meat), garlic bread (still trying to decide exactly what recipe to go with, will test some out), a couple cheese and antipasto platters, grilled veggies, tiramisu cups, still trying to decide on the other dessert- I am thinking cannoli and lemon iced sugar cookies in heart shape or macarons.

MIL is worried about anything being "messy" so I am going to put the meatballs and pastas in little clear single serving cups/bowls.