The Marriott Takeover of Starwood (2016) for $12.4 Billion: Creating the Largest Hotel Company in the World

DonRocks

9 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Why?

Is competition more beneficial to the consumer, or less? Does consolidating frequent guest programs result in more rewarding programs, or less? I believe a combined SPG/ Marriott would have something like 60% of all hotel rooms 3* and higher in the US under one corporate umbrella.

Starwood's frequent guest program was/ is light years ahead of Marriott's in terms of benefits and perks. SPG also has nicer hotels, in my opinion, and a merger with Hyatt would have been more beneficial to the consumer.

With a combined SPG/ Marriott I suppose there are more options in terms of areas of the country/ world serviced, but since 95% of my travel is to major cities that benefit is minimal.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2016 at 4:01 PM, Keithstg said:

Is competition more beneficial to the consumer, or less? Does consolidating frequent guest programs result in more rewarding programs, or less? I believe a combined SPG/ Marriott would have something like 60% of all hotel rooms 3* and higher in the US under one corporate umbrella.

Starwood's frequent guest program was/ is light years ahead of Marriott's in terms of benefits and perks. SPG also has nicer hotels, in my opinion, and a merger with Hyatt would have been more beneficial to the consumer.

With a combined SPG/ Marriott I suppose there are more options in terms of areas of the country/ world serviced, but since 95% of my travel is to major cities that benefit is minimal.

Marriott Bonvoy is the name for the combined Marriott Rewards, Ritz-Carlton Rewards, and SPG (Starwood Preferred Guest).

On 4/9/2019 at 12:57 PM, DonRocks said:

This whole thing has been a debacle (as predicted). I've shifted my corporate travel from SPG, where I was a Lifetime Platinum, to either Four Seasons or IHC - specifically Kimpton. The transition from SPG, Ritz Carlton, and Marriott Rewards was always going to be complex, and devaluation was to be expected. What transpired has been worse than I'd imagined in terms of point devaluation and program erosion.

On 4/10/2019 at 1:59 PM, Keithstg said:

What transpired has been worse than I'd imagined in terms of point devaluation and program erosion.

Effective 9/14, point redemptions will now be grouped into three categories - low, mid, and high season. The devaluation continues. After close to 1000 nights in Starwood brands, it’s a bit surprising to me how little I miss them. Zero time to be Bonvoyed.

On 6/30/2016 at 4:01 PM, Keithstg said:

As I said....Tony confirms.

The integration of Marriott Rewards and SPG was a monumental task. And it’s quite interesting. You hear SPG loyalists say, ‘My goodness, what have you done to our program?’ The program was very guest-friendly. It was less owner-friendly.” Marriott CEO, Tony Capuano