Contra, Chefs Jeremiah Stone and Fabian von Hauske's "Modern New York" Tasting Menu in Lower East Side

This could be my most controversial post BUT it must be said considering the ludicrous hype around this restaurant. Serious people told me to go and I listened. The menu sounded interesting the chefs are alumni of great institutions but alas this meal was shitty (dunno if I can curse but I can take it out if necessary). I love fine dining restos, I am not one of these guys whose like "holes in the wall ARE ALWAYS BETTER" like some people I read but this was just not very good. The space is incredibly uncomfortable particullarly the banquet chairs which are made of wood like you'd find in Central Park and it's pretty hot etc. Anyway our first and second course were the two faves of the meal. My parents liked the first one better I liked the second which was little neck clams. The first course was tuna. Interesting flavors and interesting combos etc but it was after where the world started falling. Our cooked herring with butter was gross. It was like oil butter. Herring is a fave of mine and while I appreciate the chef's going against the grain and not just serving like pickled herring it is already a very oily fish and to have it with butter sauce was ridiculous. Then we had chicken and my one was slightly undercooked and the flavor combo just didn't work. It was a very headstrong dish and combined with the fattiness of the chicken I was disappointed to say the least. Our Desserts were underwhelming as well. I am being vague admittedly which I am sorry about but I am just incredulous that this restaurant gets such hype. Save your money and go to 11 Madison Park it's ions better or even Le Bernadin or Marea etc etc AVOID CONTRA!!! I am tired of these NYC faux Denmark (I guess hipster as well) new age restaurants. I also went to Take Root as well and hated it. Can one of these restaurant be good please!!!! And I should repeat I like these sort of places particularly in Europe where they somehow pull it off many a time but in New York they often fall flat. Sorry not well written rant over

• Like 1

Another thoughtful review, manolands - would you label this "Fine Dining?"

Diners should know that there is a $67 charge if reservations are canceled within 24 hours (I have no problem with this, as long as they don't penalize people if the slots can be filled).

Here's a review from a couple years back:

Mar 11, 2014 - "Going Solo Instead of Joining the Chorus" by Pete Wells on nytimes.com

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

Another thoughtful review, manolands - would you label this "Fine Dining?"

Diners should know that there is a $67 charge if reservations are canceled within 24 hours (I have no problem with this, as long as they don't penalize people if the slots can be filled).

Here's a review from a couple years back:

Mar 11, 2014 - "Going Solo Instead of Joining the Chorus" by Pete Wells on nytimes.com

I think I would say it is fine dining between the price point, the multi course set menu, and the type of dishes served etc. Now is it FINE dining that is another question.......