Butter vs. Oleomargarine and Other Substitutes

DonRocks

10 hours ago, The Hersch said:

Or you can do what our grandparent's generation (and among some of our older comrades', mothers) did, and go with B in B in the cute little jars and cans.

You evoked a childhood memory - I now remember the first time I saw a TV commercial for B&B (late 1960's, I would guess) - they looked *so good* to me, and my parents started buying them for a few months ... I *loved* them. What I was loving, of course, was the taste of butter; my mom was "oleomargarine" all-the-way, most likely having bought into the notion that margarine was better for you than butter (we never did discuss "why"). I had to suffer through this for probably twenty years, before later in life she stopped caring, and started buying butter again after I wore her down - even as a child, not having any knowledge, I knew that "oleomargarine" tasted terrible! I think even when she was older, I'd occasionally see "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" in the refrigerator (my standard response: "I can't believe it's not butter, either!")