When Sweet Potatoes Go South

DonRocks

Okay, I just picked up a perfectly normal looking sweet potato which was just bought a few days ago. When I picked it up, to my horror, it had the texture of pudding wrapped in a thick skin - I immediately hurled it across the kitchen towards the trash can (I have uncanny accuracy at these things), but I was so frazzled that I overthrew it, and it hit the hinge in back. 

SPLAT! All over the back of the trashcan, and all inside the hinge mechanism - I spend fifteen minutes, about five paper towels, and a steak knife, digging it out of the mechanism before getting most all of it. Fortunately, because it was sealed inside the skin, it still had a normal orange color, and no odor that I could detect; it was just a bunch of mush.

What happened to my sweet potato?! It was stored on the counter with a bunch of others, and the others are still fine. These were purchased for me, so I can't swear they were good to begin with, but the person who bought them has enough common sense to be able to detect something like this, so it must have happened in a matter of a couple of days.

On 7/13/2016 at 7:24 PM, weezy said:

It sounds like it was cooked already!  Is someone gaslighting you?

You know what? Other than the temperature - which was room temperature - it's *exactly* like it was cooked already. 

Do I sleepwalk and not know it? It's not impossible that Christi-Ana (the girl who works with me) cooked one for me, and I had just forgotten (I wrote her and asked).

And I *love* the "Gaslight" reference! You should get on our Film Forum, hint hint. :)

Of note:

Sweet potatoes, full-fat Greek (does it have to be Greek?) yogurt, and salt go very well together (baked chicken doesn't hurt).

Sweet potatoes, full-fat Greek yogurt, and soy sauce creates a painful clash of flavors (whether you add baked chicken or not).

However! Sweet potatoes, *cottage cheese*, and soy sauce is a simply wonderful flavor combination (regardless of the chicken).

I can attest that Baked (perhaps Russet) potatoes, cottage cheese, and soy sauce is a delightful combination of flavors as well.

Live and learn. People think I'm not human. And they're right. But I kind of am. Sometimes. There's a spider in Des Moines, Iowa.

Bizarrely enough, I have had this happen twice in the past couple of weeks.  They weren't sweet potatoes that had just been bought; they'd been in the potato part of the bin in my pantry for a while. I certainly have regular potatoes that start to sprout if I've had them too long, but I've never, ever encountered sweet potatoes that have turned liquid in their skins before. This is really strange.

On 12/17/2018 at 12:34 PM, Pat said:

Bizarrely enough, I have had this happen twice in the past couple of weeks.  They weren't sweet potatoes that had just been bought; they'd been in the potato part of the bin in my pantry for a while. I certainly have regular potatoes that start to sprout if I've had them too long, but I've never, ever encountered sweet potatoes that have turned liquid in their skins before. This is really strange.

It's gruesome and grisly - you throw them against a wall, and they SPLAT!