Pokémon Go

DonRocks

You get nothing from prestige points.  They are simply there to tell you the level of the gym.

I think you get about 100 XP points for each Pokémon you attack and win when you fight against another team's gym.

Watch the fighting video I posted above (or just google it).  There's a yellow flash preceding every attack, and then you dodge.

2 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

You get nothing from prestige points.  They are simply there to tell you the level of the gym.

I think you get about 100 XP points for each Pokémon you attack and win when you fight against another team's gym.

Watch the fighting video I posted above (or just google it).  There's a yellow flash preceding every attack, and then you dodge.

Okay I'll make it a point to watch that video, several times, as I'm learning to fight. Thank you, sir.

---

I saw the video, and it's very understandable how to dodge (it's just going to take some practice to get it into my muscle memory). However, what is a "Charge," and also what is a "Blizzard?"

Jeez, I've been winning a lot of fights not even knowing about Dodging - I guess I trill pretty well. :)

A specific, real-life situation: I have 2 Tauros, and only want to keep 1. 

The first is 1633 CP, 105 HP, and 4000 Power-Up Candies

The second is 541 CP, 60 HP, and 800 Power-Up Candies

However, the second appraises as "Strong" vs. "Not Great in Battle," and has a slightly higher IV.

Two things: 1) I can't imagine ever fighting with a Tauros, and 2) It will take forever (and a lot of candies) to power up the 541 Tauros.

Which should I return, assuming I want to keep 1 of each Pokémon (and why I'm even doing this, I don't know).

What possible good can come from a Tauros?

18 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

I don't keep any Tauros.  I'd use the higher as a gym stuffer.

What's the point? I have probably 50 Pokémon better than this, and only stuff about 1 gym per week (when I can find an open slot, which I did about an hour ago - and even then, I use my very best Pokémon (is there a reason not to?)).

I'll keep the higher one, just because I view it as sort of a "collection." Boy do I need to get a life. :)

(BTW, don't feel the need to answer - one day I hope for more participation, so I don't mind if my questions dangle for awhile - but I do appreciate the help, truly.)

7 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

The point of gym stuffer is that after it gets knocked out, you just give it away instead of reviving it.

Interesting, and I've never thought of this. But I deposit so few Pokémons that it's no trouble using a Revive and a few Potions - I discard many, many more Revives and Potions than I use.

Just how often do you find an open slot to stuff?! It doesn't happen that much with me - maybe a couple times a week, at most - but you know how to fight, and I don't, so maybe you create the slots?

1 hour ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Once you learn how to fight, you can take down a gym of 10 by yourself, it just takes time.

I'd like to observe you at some point.

I'm not sure my Pokémon are as strong as yours (early Level 27).

4 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Triple points right now and discount on egg purchases, extra fire and ice types. 

Damn, I just had a Pidgey Party two days ago (I've still resisted any temptation to spend any money).

Darn it, I have 200 coins, and want 250 for 8 Lucky Eggs.

Love, Pokémon Style: They're so densely clustered that they're on top of each other, and an Ekans is actually coiled around a Cubone.

IMG_3310.png

(It turns out this was an error, and one screen became overlaid atop another.)

And the campus of UCLA is fertile ground for Pokéstops:

IMG_3304.png

One thing I'm noticing as I'm leveling up: I'm catching higher-IV Pokemons, but with much lower CPs - this forces me to discard higher CP Pokemons in order to get ones with better DNA. A typical example:

IMG_3311.png

13 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Has anyone gotten software errors with Pokégyms in the past few days?

I've just been guillotined by one!

They're rebuilding the gyms with a new feature.  Scuttlebutt is that the next biweekly update will include the feature and restore the gyms.

Ah - the benefits of having an eight year old boy.

The days of fighting and hording gyms are over.  You can only earn 50 coins a day, at a rate of 1 coin per 10 minutes in the gym, and you only collect when your Pokemon gets knocked out.  So if you have just 1 Pokemon in a gym for 8 hrs and 20 minutes, you will get the maximum amount of coins per day.

Basically, I wait for the kids to go to sleep.  Knock over 1 or 2 gyms, stick my mons in.  In the morning, I should have my 50 coins.

On the other hand, if you keep feeding your damn pokemon so it never gets knocked out, you'd never collect any coins.

43 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

The days of fighting and hording gyms are over.  You can only earn 50 coins a day, at a rate of 1 coin per 10 minutes in the gym, and you only collect when your Pokemon gets knocked out.  So if you have just 1 Pokemon in a gym for 8 hrs and 20 minutes, you will get the maximum amount of coins per day.

Basically, I wait for the kids to go to sleep.  Knock over 1 or 2 gyms, stick my mons in.  In the morning, I should have my 50 coins.

On the other hand, if you keep feeding your damn pokemon so it never gets knocked out, you'd never collect any coins.

The "nighttime strategy" is a sound one. I've gotten 50 coins both days this weekend - probably because people are still a bit confused about how gyms work, and are shying away from them. Still, this is *way* more than I was getting before - heck, I might even buy an incubator.

I had a Vaporeon in a gym for over 24 hours, which was longer than I wanted - I got it back this morning. I also had three different Pokémons in gyms yesterday for over five hours each.

You won't see me complaining about 50 coins per day, but I suspect advanced players are getting less than they used to.

I think I like the changes, overall.

Of note: I just evolved into my first-ever Crobat several days ago; two days ago, I found my first one ever in the wild (which was only "decent" - it's very frustrating not to have any use for a 1500-point Pokémon, but I've kept it for now regardless).

What do you think the best things to buy are? For me, I bought 3 Lucky Eggs when they were half-price, and I'm going to buy an Incubator soon; at some point, I'll probably want larger backpacks - are they a one-time-only deal, or can you keep increasing them by 50 each time, without any limits?

Other than "collecting," is there any point to keeping 95% of all Pokémons? It seems like a clear "No" to me, but I try to get one of each just for the heck of it. I guess I'm eventually aiming for 91.1% (*) or higher, but with the vast majority of Pokémons, even a perfect IV doesn't really get much done, so it seems.

I still haven't participated in a Raid, and don't see the point (where do these 20,000-point Pokémons come from?!) Do you get anything special if you win? What about if you just participate?

(*) Have you noticed, btw, that IVs go in increments of about 2.25? A perfect 15-15-15 is 100%, and then a 15-15-14 is 97.8%, a 15-14-14 is 95.5%, and so-on, and so-on. "Amazing" seems to be 82.2% and higher, and "Strong" appears to be (I think) 62.2%-80.0%. Anything less than Strong, and I don't worry about IVs at all - for "Decent" and "Not Great," I just keep the ones with the highest CPs, hoping that a "Strong" or "Amazing" will eventually come my way. Also, I think every single egg I've hatched recently has been "Amazing." Since I got to Level 28, every egg I've gotten has been 5km (with a couple 10kms, and only 1 2km). 5km eggs are where you really begin reaping some benefits. It's much easier to get XP when you're at a higher level, but it's also distressing to see how many people are at Level 40 - do they have lives?!

Matt (my son) is of the opinion that Pokémon don't really matter - which makes sense, as even gyms loaded with Snorlaxes and Dragonites go down all the time. Speaking of which, DIShGo hatched a 95.5% Snorlax a few weeks ago. I recently hatched a 97.8% Togepi, which - though rare - is about as useful as a cup of lukewarm water.

I use to collect 100 coins/day so the new system doesn't make me happy.  It also makes leveling up and having strong Pokemons worthless.  I've read the higher the CP, the faster that Pokemon loses motivation....

I've never really paid attention to IVs.  

Go do your raid.  I think you'll have to do lots of raids before you can participate in a raid for a "legendary" Pokemon.  Pink eggs bosses can be taken down by just 1 player.  Yellow eggs bosses need more than 1 player to take down.  When you take down the boss, you get stuff like magic candies (which can turn into any Pokemon candy of your choice) and other stuff (google it).

You'll need to buy lucky eggs for double points.  I also buy incubators.  The more eggs you go thru, the more purple eggs you get.

Go do your raid.  I think you'll have to do lots of raids before you can participate in a raid for a "legendary" Pokemon.  Pink eggs bosses can be taken down by just 1 player.  Yellow eggs bosses need more than 1 player to take down.  When you take down the boss, you get stuff like magic candies (which can turn into any Pokemon candy of your choice) and other stuff (google it).

I just did two raids by myself and won them both! And in one of them, I won the Bonus battle against a Magikarp that I needed to Evolve (it has perfect defense). One thing I did notice is that you lose your silver balls regardless of whether you use them all - I did manage to get a Magic Candy.

Is there any reason not to do a bonus battle?

I'm guessing that as long as you grind the grind (which, let's face it, is what this game is), Niantic will eventually come out with a revision that will reward players - I'm guessing they'll eventually allow players to trade.

13 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

I'm not sure what the bonus battle is.  I fight the boss, and then I catch the boss.  I haven't had any extra battles.

Maybe when you win a Raid alone, it gives you the option? It's a big button at the bottom of the screen, allowing you to take on the Pokémon in a "regular" battle (I captured the Magikarp easily).

One thing I'm certain of is that Pinap berries sometimes last longer than one throw, and sometimes they don't - and I'm not sure how to tell in advance.

I've seen little Pinap avatars to the right of the Pokémon being fought, but I'm not sure they're always there.

Just this minute, I used one on a Bellsprout (I needed 8 candies). It escaped my first throw, but I got it on the second throw, only to find that the Pinap berry was no longer in working order.

This article states that you must hit the Pokémon on the first throw when you use a Pinap berry - I can vouch that this is false, because I've made it a point to pay attention, and sometimes they last into the second or even third throw: I haven't figured out a pattern, but you don't always have to capture on the first throw. Maybe that icon stays there for as long as it's actively working, and goes away once it's not. 

---

I'm almost convinced that I can "sense" when a Pokémon is going to flee, before it does - I'm not sure how or why I have this "sixth sense," but if I think it's going to happen, it nearly always does ... there must be some subtle sign that this is about to take place, and I'm probably noticing it subconsciously.

Strangely, I have this ability on the tennis court - for whatever reason, I have an uncanny ability to "know in advance" when the court next to me is going to have one of their tennis balls roll onto my court. This "premonition" happens three or four shots before the ball actually comes over - for awhile, I thought that maybe the players on the next court were encroaching, and I was seeing it out of the corner of my eye, but I ruled that theory out long ago. I have yet to come up with a satisfactory explanation, but it's not coincidence, I'm not imagining it, and it has been going on for decades. There must be some sort of subconscious "signal" that I'm picking up on, and I haven't been able to figure out what it is.

15 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Each berry is good for one catch. If the Pokemon escapes, then you have to use another berry.  If you simply missed the Pokemon, then the berry is still good.

If the Pokémon jumps-and-dodges, does that count as a miss? Because, honestly, I never miss (well, sometimes if I try a crazy curve), but sometimes they do their little flip-thing.

If so, then this explains it perfectly.

BTW, have you ever *nailed* a Sunkern, only to have it stick out its tongue at you? (On a similar note, I have yet to find a Sunkern above "Decent.")

As long as I have you on the line: I left my best Pokémon in a destitute gym over two days ago. Am I only going to get 50 points from this? I've already gotten my 50 points for today, so what if it comes back tonight? Is it possible I won't get anything? If so, then that *sucks*.

On 6/28/2017 at 8:48 PM, DonRocks said:

BTW, have you ever *nailed* a Sunkern, only to have it stick out its tongue at you? (On a similar note, I have yet to find a Sunkern above "Decent.")

As long as I have you on the line: I left my best Pokémon in a destitute gym over two days ago. Am I only going to get 50 points from this? I've already gotten my 50 points for today, so what if it comes back tonight? Is it possible I won't get anything? If so, then that *sucks*.

One other question: My best Pokémon is out in rural Reston, and has been there for over 3 days. When it comes back, am I only going to get 50 coins? If so, that's a total screwing - I got zero coins today, for instance.

You get max 50 coins per day.  You only collect if your Pokémon gets knocked out.  So if your Pokémon sits around somewhere for 3 days, you get nothing except in the day it gets knocked out.  And if you already collected 50 coins that day from another Pokémon, then your 3 day squatting was worthless.

1 minute ago, Ericandblueboy said:

You get max 50 coins per day.  You only collect if your Pokémon gets knocked out.  So if your Pokémon sits around somewhere for 3 days, you get nothing except in the day it gets knocked out.  And if you already collected 50 coins that day from another Pokémon, then your 3 day squatting was worthless.

That's a hose job - there's no way to control your own outcome! There should at least be a feature to "call your Pokémon back home."

Somebody keeps feeding it berries, otherwise it should be near dead by now.

Sez you.

It's my only 100 IV Pokemon, and I regret having left it - my new strategy is to leave things in the 1000-1500 range, until Niantic gets their act together. 

They'll need to fix this, or they'll lose top players by the millions.

16 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Regardless of its motivation, someone has to knock it out.  It won't die on its own.

If there are six Pokémons in a gym, can you selectively fight one of them, or do you have to eliminate all six? I haven't yet attacked an opposing team's gym, and don't know how to go about doing it.

BTW, my hypothesis about leaving 1000-1500 point Pokémon seems to be working pretty well, especially if you leave them somewhat late in the day. They last for awhile, but tend to last less than 24 hours, which is exactly what I want (I'm probably not the best teammate, but I think this game is every dog for itself).

Just FYI, I've "bought" 3 half-priced Lucky Eggs, an incubator (to hatch 10km eggs in parallel with my infinite incubator, which I use on the lowest-value eggs I have), and am thinking about a backpack upgrade. My goal so far has been to assemble one of each Pokémon, the IV of which are slowly improving over time, and I'm finding myself running out of room to hoard Pidgeys for a Lucky Egg Pidgey Party (I can Evolve a little over 60 in 30 minutes). Incidentally, I'm finding myself using my Pinapp berries for Pidgeys, Caterpies, and Weedles to decrease the time in-between Pidgey Parties.

I'm right at the border of being a Pokémon-hoarder, and being a gym-fighter, because I very rarely see any new Pokémons these days. I've actually yet to lose a Raid, mainly because I go after the Magikarp Pokégyms - I keep hoping to find a 91.1+ IV Magikarp to Evolve into a Gyarados (I have enough Candies, since I used Magikarp as my buddy for so long; now, I just need to find a kick-assed Magikarp - I have 3 "Amazing" ones, but they're still only in the 80-89 IV range).

You can evolve 75-80 in 30 minutes.

you have to fight all the Pokemons in a gym, but the order is FIFO.  So it's possible to knock one out without knocking out all of them - you'd have to run away after knocking out the first Pokémon.  In any case, you can't fight your own gym.

• Like 1

Saw a Mr. Mime while I was having dinner in Copenhagen.  Couldn't go catch it.  Today, saw and caught my first Mr. Mime at the Viking ship museum in Roskilde.   I guess it's not that surprising that you have to get near frenchies to catch a mime.  Does that mean going to Australian for a kangaskhan (which looks like a kangaroo)?

1 hour ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Saw a Mr. Mime while I was having dinner in Copenhagen.  Couldn't go catch it.  Today, saw and caught my first Mr. Mime at the Viking ship museum in Roskilde.   I guess it's not that surprising that you have to get near frenchies to catch a mime.  Does that mean going to Australian for a kangaskhan (which looks like a kangaroo)?

That's an awesome Viking Ship Museum in Roskilde - the reconstructions are amazing.

Mr. Mime's are only in Europe - here's a list of regional Pokemons.

On 7/7/2017 at 5:03 AM, Ericandblueboy said:

That's where I caught mine. 1207 CP, though.

11 hours ago, zgast said:

That's where I caught mine. 1207 CP, though.

We should start a "shared user name and password" service for those hard-to-find spots overseas.

Yeah, it's cheating, but this is coming from someone who hasn't ever spent a single penny on any coins (though I do admit to driving to Pokégyms).

More importantly, I saw my first-ever Snorlax yesterday outside of an opposing team's gym - only "Decent," but caught in the wild and over 2200 CP. Not too shabby!

Note to Eric: I found a Butterfree today at McLean Bible Church - I'd never before seen one. Also, three days ago, I saw my first-ever Jumpluff in Pentagon City, all three of these in the wild.

55 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

It seems like my Pokemons are automatically returning from gyms after 24 hrs.  Anyone else notice this? 

I haven't noticed, but I also haven't had any last longer than 24 hours in a few days - I accidentally left a *Pidgey* at Shirlington this afternoon, and it's still there after two hours. 

It's quite possible they fixed the "multi-day" problem, which would be great.

3 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I haven't noticed, but I also haven't had any last longer than 24 hours in a few days - I accidentally left a *Pidgey* at Shirlington this afternoon, and it's still there after two hours. 

It's quite possible they fixed the "multi-day" problem, which would be great.

I hadn't noticed either, but will try to start paying attention, and report back.  I had noticed that they were coming back with greater frequency, but did not notice any regularity.

I don't know that that would fully fix the "multi-day" problem, in that if you were to go out in the late evening and put mons in two gyms, and they both automatically came back to you in 24 hours max, you would only get 50 coins out of it.  At least you would be guaranteed that, though, if one or both stayed in their gyms long enough.  The only motivation to put more than one in would be insurance in case one of yours comes back too early for you to max out the 50 coins.  But then you would have to do the same thing over, every night. 

Even though I have missed a couple of days of getting 50 coins, I have been putting mons in anywhere from 3-5 gyms, with the hope that they come back on different days, and I try to avoid gyms that tend to be stagnant, like that one on Hunter Mill Road at Cartersville Baptist Church.  Under the old gym regime, that gym was level 10 red team 99+% of the time since the game started.  There were (are still?) a couple of early level 40 players out in the Reston area that considered that "home base".   It still, under the new gym meta, tends to stagnate red longer than most gyms these days.

On the Mr. Mime front, I caught 4 in and around Rome in the Spring as we walked (and walked, and walked) the city! 

I was evolving a batch of Pokemons on my phone when I decided to turn on my iPad to see exactly how much time I have left on my lucky egg.  I then decided to evolve on my iPad too.  Apparently you can evolve on 2 devices at the same time, so in 30 minutes you can evolve much more than 80 Pokemons.  I then did some googling.  Apparently other people have tried this trick, which is against the TOS.  Some people have been banned temporarily and others may have been banned permanently.  I guess I won't be doing it again.

If you want to hunt for Lugia and Articuno, buy one of the small boxes on sale, it contains 6 raid passes.

I was down at FDR Memorial at 9:30.  There were other people there but no raids.  Then a bunch of people started walking towards the mall.  I followed a pack of people.  Ended up catching 2 Articunos and 1 Lugia.  Of the 4 Articunos that I helped take down, I was only able to catch 2.  I only fought 1 Lugia and maybe I just got lucky with catching that one.