Taking a couple days to tour Southern Maryland - not looking for restaurants, but rather suggestions on fun things to do (parks, nature walks, museums, bike rentals, historic stuff, lighthouses, Pokéstops, etc.) - does anyone have suggestions? It's been awhile since I've been, so I'm not very current - if anyone wants me to scope out the restaurant scene down there (and I'm thinking Solomon's Island, etc.), I'll be glad to write up a summary. 

I'm also looking for a nice hotel, so if anyone has any suggestions for a two-night stay, I'll be happy to write up a summary for that, too. On the water with a view would be ideal, cost be damned.

For sailing in that area Sail Solomon's is a sailing school where you can take a 2 day intro to sailing class.  Nothing says Maryland like summer sailing on the bay.  I know Herrington Harbor has an Inn, reasonable nature walking and the Orange Crush at their bar, Mangos, rate highly. 

I'm taking the kids to Solomons the weekend of July 30,  Booked a room at the Holiday Inn (never been, don't know how nice it is).  Plan on hitting the Calvert Marine Museum & Lighthouse (take their cruise) and AnnMarie Garden.  I was going to try out Lighthouse Restaurant and Dock Bar and Stoney Kingfisher.

If you see anything else that might interest kids (including whether Solomons has lots of Pokestops), let me know. 

Downtown Leonardtown is sort of cute. There is a nice restaurant there, Cafe D'Artistes. St. Mary's has a great dive bar, The Green Door. Tiki Bar is fun, and on the water. Stoney's is good for crab cakes. But, I think the water stuff is the best - sailing, the light house mentioned. The Mudd House is down here somewhere, where Booth ran to after killing the president. Calvert Cliffs State Park is nice. And if you're bored, you can see a really lovely cancer center in Charlotte Hall :)

S

Thanks to all for the recommendations so far - for this particular trip, I won't be restaurant-hopping or sailing, but I will be doing research into both so I can fill folks in. If there's anything in particular regarding restaurants or sailing you want me to verify, let me know; otherwise, it will be more of a "genteel" getaway. :)

Southern Maryland vacation cottages on the water are an excellent alternative to either the Delaware/Ocean City ocean front or going to the Outer Banks.  Its not at all what you are looking for.  They naturally accommodate cooking on site.  Plenty of places in the region to get excellent seafood.  I've stayed at Rehobeth, Outer Banks and Southern Md.   My fave is Southern Md.  But that is taste.  Its infinitely slower and less dynamic.  Beaches are less active.  Lots of opportunities to get out on the water. 

Easily accessible.  Can use it virtually year round if you wish.  Ugh...I knew I should have purchased one of those places years ago.  Great for bike riding, hiking etc.  Total number of places to visit and see is sort of thin...restaurant world is thin compared to ocean front alternatives.  But it is a relaxing easily accessible haven. 

Basically, nothing in this response is relevant to your question.  I'm just waxing nostalgic.