José Abreu's Amazing Run of Triple Plays for the 2016 Chicago White Sox

DonRocks

On 7/30/2016 at 10:23 AM, Pat said:

The Nats turned the first triple play in team history last night and the first 3-3-5 triple play in major league history.  The second video down here (the "Must C" one) has four different calls of the play.  The SABR triple play spreadsheet is linked here

I was just looking at the fascinating spreadsheet Pat linked to, and noticed something incredible: before the Nationals' unique 3-3-5 triple play on Saturday, it caught my eye that the Chicago White Sox had executed 3 out of the last 4 triple plays in the major leagues.

A quick sideways glance revealed that all 3 had come within a period of 2.5 months (Apr 22 - Jul 8, 2016), and then I wondered, "What if?" 

Another sideways glance told me that José Abreu, the White Sox 1st Baseman, was involved in all 3 triple plays. That's 3 triple plays for 1 player over the span of 2.5 months. Remarkable!

Searching on Google, there was press about the White Sox, but even going into the articles and looking, I don't see anything special written about Abreu - surely *he* must have noticed and said something to the press, but I don't see anything.

I'm friends with one of the founders of Elias Sports Bureau, and I'm going to alert him to this to see what he has to say.

Screenshot 2016-08-02 at 09.47.15.png

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

I'm friends with one of the founders of Elias Sports Bureau, and I'm going to alert him to this to see what he has to say.

I heard from him - he was surprised that it hadn't been noticed by someone, somewhere, but obviously, he doesn't have the time to do any type of officially sanctioned Elias research. Me, I'm just assuming the spreadsheet is correct, and noting an unusual event.