Cold Zaru or Mori Soba Noodles Sought, Preferably with Tempura or Served with Sobayu

ktmoomau

8 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

Anyone know where you can enjoy cold zaru or mori soba noodles in the DC/MD/VA area?  Bonus points if they have tempura or sobayu with your soba.  I know I am perfectly capable of making the soba and dipping sauce (and oh I will), but it is so good with the tempura, and I am terrible at frying things.  

Sushi Tato has Cold Soba with One Topping at both lunch and dinner.

Kaz Sushi Bistro serves a Soba Noodle Salad - I would call the restaurant, or I could ask Kaz for you.

Izakaya Seki has Ojiya Soba on their sample menu - Cizuka is active here, and maybe she could chime in.

Nagomi Izakaya has Zaru Soba on lunch and dinner menus dated 2014.

Your best bet is to seek out the Japanese-owned Japanese restaurants.

This is horribly late and no longer the warm season for eating zaru soba - but since I'm also a big fan - another place that you can get it is Tono Sushi in Woodley Park and likely their sister restaurants in Yosaku in Tenleytown and Toku on U Street. I've had it several times at Tono Sushi and found it to be very good. They don't usually serve it with sobayu but if you ask when you order it, I bet they'd fill a little tea kettle with the cooking liquid and give it to you. These restaurants btw are underrated for their large Japanese menus in addition to the usually sushi offerings. They won't compete with the best sushi places in the city, but they turn out rather good quality and not overly expensive traditional (and non-traditional but I stick away from it) Japanese food.

• Like 1