Uruguay

Al Dente

I've heard that Uruguay is a wonderful country to visit-- especially Montevideo. So I'm toying with the idea of going sometime this winter.

Has anyone been? Have you found any good travel resources? I'm an "off the beaten path" kind of guy, so any intel on the less touristy parts of the country would be great.

Uruguay is one of my favorite places to visit.  Definitely try to go to Colonia. Surprisingly the NYT has had many good articles about Uruguay which you can find if you google. Of course get a chivito or two. Uruguayan Tannat is one of the best wines in the world that no one has heard or or drunk. Drink as much of it as possible. There may even be some good wineries to visit  

The sierra de caracol region (north of punta del este) is beautiful to drive through. If I could figure out how to embed a photo I would (the stupid invasion board limits me to very small photos in terms of size and who has time to bother resizing a photo!!)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rieux said:

Also, I think punta del este is way overrated. Basically it is like Tampa. From Colonia you can take a ferry to Buenos Aires if you want to spend a few days there too. 

I hadn't even thought of Buenos Aires. I'm assuming it's worth the visit? I imagine I'll only have 7 or 8 days to work with.

3 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Buenos Aires. I'm assuming it's worth the visit?

YES. I was supposed to take a day trip to Colonia from BA but ended up not being able to because of flight snafus and having to cut a day from my trip. Others will need to weigh in on whether it's worth cutting a day or several from your Uruguay trip to visit BA, but I thought BA was amazing. I visited in 2010, but I don't think that matters.

On 8/10/2016 at 5:08 PM, Al Dente said:

I've heard that Uruguay is a wonderful country to visit-- especially Montevideo. So I'm toying with the idea of going sometime this winter.

Has anyone been? Have you found any good travel resources? I'm an "off the beaten path" kind of guy, so any intel on the less touristy parts of the country would be great.

I think even if you go to Montevideo, the type of "tourist" down there is just as likely to be from Brazil as the U.S., so I wouldn't worry about falling into tourist traps.

You should get in touch with Paul Rosenthal if you're thinking about Buenos Aires.