Coravin

MarkS

Anyone taken the plunge and purchased a Coravin.  I'm on the fence but real close to pulling the trigger.  From a splash of dessert wine where there is no way we would consume the bottle to the ability to take some pours from bottles I have without having to consume the entire bottle.  Seems like a great solution.

4 hours ago, MarkS said:

Anyone taken the plunge and purchased a Coravin.  I'm on the fence but real close to pulling the trigger.  From a splash of dessert wine where there is no way we would consume the bottle to the ability to take some pours from bottles I have without having to consume the entire bottle.  Seems like a great solution.

I'm curious too, as I want to fall in love with Port all over again.

I know a bunch of people who have them.  Those who have them tend to love them but not actually to use them as much as they thought they would.  Dessert wines are a great use case, but other than that we tend to drink at least half a bottle (in which case a cheap and very effective solution is to take a small screwcapped bottle - we use old Perrier bottles - and fill it to the very top with no headspace before capping it).

By all accounts they work very well, though, so if the spend doesn't bother you go for it.  Only thing to be slightly careful about is old bottles - the bottle ends up pressurized, so there is some risk of breakage if there's a flaw in the glass.

On 8/15/2016 at 4:13 PM, MarkS said:

Did you end up pulling the trigger?  If so, how is it?  With the Black Friday discounts online, I'm thinking about one too.