Visiting Manhattan with My 6- and 8-Year-Old Sons - Need Brunch, Dinner, and Bagels

nmorrell

I'm taking my kids to NYC for a quick trip later this month. I think I've got our schedule roughly mapped out, making our meals my next step. I'm looking for any recommendations y'all can offer! I'll be with my 6 and 8 year old boys who are, on the whole well behaved and fairly adventurous eaters for their age but we won't be at Le Bernardin. 

1. Sunday Brunch, either near our hotel in the Upper East Side or near One World Trade. I was thinking maybe Balthazar's. I used to love this spot in the late 90s/early '00s but 20 years later, is it still worth a stop or is my nostalgia getting the better of me? 

2. Sunday dinner. No real restrictions in location here but I'd like somewhere with great food since its our only dinner. We may go see a show that night so perhaps somewhere near Central Park South? I don't want to eat in Times Square.

3. Monday morning Best NYC Bagels. The kids haven't really had bagels (other than Bodo's in Charlottesville) because we don't really eat them around here so I'd like to introduce them to a really great bagel. 

I greatly appreciate any recommendations! Many Thanks!!

For brunch, what about something low key like Bubby's??? (It is one of our favorite brunch spots, mainly because of the amazing bread basket, but the mains are so good too) It's not far from One World Trade (I think they have two locations now, but think they still have the location that would be close).  We also really liked Hundred Acres there for dinner, their brunch menu looked good too.  Not sure about anything else as we are normally near Tribeca/Chelsea Market/Greenwich Village area as that is where my BIL's old place was and we just liked staying in that area when we have gone up there the last couple years.

3 hours ago, nmorrell said:

2. Sunday dinner. No real restrictions in location here but I'd like somewhere with great food since its our only dinner. We may go see a show that night so perhaps somewhere near Central Park South? I don't want to eat in Times Square.

It's not that close to Central Park South, but it's away from Times Square: I was very happy with my meal this Spring at Bar Americain on 57th and 2nd - it's *huge*, so getting a reservation won't be a problem, and it's boisterous, so two young boys won't be a problem either. My food was quite good - surprisingly good - and this is safely considered an "important" restaurant (maybe not in culinary terms, but in the grand scheme of things). You can eat healthy, haute, or hamburgers - your choice. If you *do* stay in Times Square with two young boys, you could do worse than John's of Times Square (don't expect excellent pizza and you won't be disappointed).

Our Bagels thread is here - feel free to chime in and ask for updates.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nmorrell said:

1. Sunday Brunch, either near our hotel in the Upper East Side or near One World Trade. I was thinking maybe Balthazar's. I used to love this spot in the late 90s/early '00s but 20 years later, is it still worth a stop or is my nostalgia getting the better of me? 

For Brunch, the UES institution for families is JG Melons for burgers, burgers or burgers.  Mezzaluna is family friendly Old World Italian on 3rd Avenue in the 70s.  The lasagna is a dish I'll go out of my way to get - and I lived in Bologna.  Papaya King is at 86th St.  There's no time when that place isn't a good option.  The UES can be kind of a den of mediocrity, food-wise.  Also worth considering, if only on the way from A to B is Veselka.  It's a Ukranian diner with typical brunch fare for the kids and very good Polish/Ukranian pierogi, stuffed cabbage, soups, etc for more adventurous palates.  After our first trip, my kids switched over to the Polish food - except for the Rice Krispie treats the size of bricks you buy on the way out. Families mingle equally with the massively hungover.  It's located just below 10th St.near 2nd Avenue I think.  Very quick cab ride from UES.  Balthazar - I've never gone when there wasn't a line long enough to make me leave.

Dinner - If your kids would go for Vietnamese, Le Colonial is an upscale place on 57th that gives them the wow factor as well as well done Vietnamese. It's convenient to theater district, but not Times Square. Note that the prices reflect the location (but so do TGI Fridays in Times Square). It's not Le Bernadin (you sure you can't get the kids to go there?) but think $30 entrees.  For a cheaper meal, Ramen is kid-friendly and really good.  Totto Ramen is on 51st or 52nd just past Times Square in Hells Kitchen.  It can get crowded, so I usually took my family to Kenkui-tei instead on 56th just off 6th.  I know Don likes Bar Americain, but I was never that fond of it.  It was an occasional work dinner site, so I've been several times.  Heading back to the Upper East Side, Maya shows what happens when Richard Sandoval is actually watching over a Mexican kitchen (i.e. it's much better than his places down here.)  Cafe Boloud is good as well, although I haven't been in about 5 or 6 years now.

Good luck on the trip.

• Like 1

Just wanted to say thanks to all those that gave us recommendations!! The one thing I can say about the trip is, it won't be the last for my kids. I was thrilled that they loved the City as much as I'd hoped.

We ate at the following spots...

Sunday Brunch at Isabella's (Next door to the Natural History Museum)- I had the huevos rancheros and my friend had the breakfast burrito (we're both Texans). Food fine and service was ok. Nothing bad but noting outstanding either. Its worth a stop if you're going to the museum but I wouldn't go out of my way for it. Note for non-NewYorkers: The city is still under blue laws. Who knew!?!? So we drew out our 11am reservation so that we could enjoy one mimosa at 12:01pm before departing. 

Sunday dinner at Campagnola (UES). A friend recommended it and it was darling. An old school tiny little Italian spot. They were very accommodating to our kids and the food and wine was great. Nothing groundbreaking or earth shattering but great classic Italian dishes. I might not cross town for dinner here but if you're in the UES, its definitely worth it. 

Monday Breakfast at Serafina (CPS location). I'd heard from several friends to try this spot. And I wish we'd made the effort to go to the UES location instead of the CPS location but it was literally next door to our hotel so it seemed silly not to try the CPS location. Their four flowers juice was delicious and I'm not really a fan of breakfast juice. The benedicts were outstanding and again they were great with our kids, which was appreciated. Service was a little slow but nothing to really complain about. 

• Like 3

I hope I speak for everyone when I say that I *really* appreciate your having taken the time to follow up - many people don't do this even though our members are so eager to jump in and help. Your follow-up is not only polite, but it's useful information for others going forward - thank you for having written it!

• Like 2

On 9/11/2016 at 2:38 PM, nmorrell said:

Note for non-NewYorkers: The city is still under blue laws. Who knew!?!? So we drew out our 11am reservation so that we could enjoy one mimosa at 12:01pm before departing.

A weekend too early! Governor signed a repeal! 

"Starting This Weekend, Brunchgoers Can Finally Booze before Noon" by Clint Rainey on grubstreet.com

• Like 2