First, let me say that if you've ever had difficulty understanding the dialog in a film, you'll understand when I advise you to consider using Closed Captions for "Trainspotting" - a film largely spoken in the "language" of Scottish, and if you've ever had a conversation with someone from Scotland, you'll know exactly what I'm saying here.  

*** WARNING - SPOILERS FOLLOW ***

I *love* the stop-motion introductions of the main characters - and here they are:

Screenshot 2016-08-20 at 11.54.41.png Screenshot 2016-08-20 at 11.55.06.png Screenshot 2016-08-20 at 11.55.17.png Screenshot 2016-08-20 at 11.55.31.png Screenshot 2016-08-20 at 11.55.52.png

"The Worst Toilet in Scotland" scene was hi-*lar*ious. It was also one of the single-most disgusting things I've ever seen in my life: I thought watching "The Walking Dead" would cure me forever of any revulsion while watching anything going forward: Nope. Thank *God* there was some comic relief with Renton's Thomas Pynchon-inspired swim. The scene, as a whole, is legendary, and will be considered a classic even fifty years from now, and I suspect you'll remember it for as long as you live.

I've never seen Trainspotting before - it's a culture (the heroin culture) that I just don't relate to, and in a sense, this movie is a lot like "Go Fish" for me - an arthouse favorite that I've just never bothered watching because it didn't call out to me. (You can also rest assured that I wouldn't have mentioned Go Fish if I didn't have plans, in the back of my mind, of seeing it in the near future).

However, I can tell just seventeen minutes into this ninety-five minute film that I'm going to pretty much *love* it - not five seconds have passed that I haven't enjoyed, thoroughly and immensely, and I have a feeling the subject matter may well be the only thing preventing Trainspotting from being considered one of the great comedies of our generation - although, maybe I should wait until the end of the film before making such a prediction.

In terms of dialog, character development, and an overall "likability" factor, I think Trainspotting is going to rate pretty highly with me; again, let me not get ahead of myself. If I say this at the end of the movie, then you'll know to make a beeline to watch it on Amazon Prime, where it's *free*!

One thing I've always wondered is: What does "trainspotting" even mean? Like "A Clockwork Orange," it's explained in the book, but not in the movie. From Wikipedia: "The cryptic film title is a reference to a scene (not included in the film) in the original book, where Begbie and Renton meet 'an auld drunkard' who turns out to be Begbie's estranged father, in the disused Leith Central railway station, which they are using as a toilet. He asks them if they are "trainspottin'." After that explanation, I *still* don't know what it means, but at least I have a better idea.

Oh my *goodness*, the scatological humor in Trainspotting is abundant and dis-gusting! I know it's chocolate, I *read* that it's chocolate, but it's still as cringeworthy as anything I've seen in quite awhile. And even though you know it's chocolate, you still cringe.

The Baby Dawn scene was one of the most bitter pills I've swallowed in a long, long time.

And the extended scene where Renton's parents lock him in his room to become clean is quite powerful - there are a *lot* of memorable visuals in this film, some of which I'll never forget.

You know, I was *just* about to write that the movie hit a slow spot not long after Renton got clean - it could either be that, or the fact that I'm getting sleepy (the same thing happened to me with Divorce American Style after the couple separated). I was just about to write that when Begbie is making out in the car with a prostitute, and all of a sudden, he sits up with a start and says, "Fuck!" It seems he put his hand in a rather private place and felt something down there he wasn't expecting. Ha! Ha! Ha! Surprise!

Did I say earlier that this movie was a comedy? Well, it may have started out that way, but it shifted to an intense drama, with a heavy dose of suspense and intrigue. Trainspotting is a very good movie, and unlike anything I've ever seen. Highly recommended if you're of an exploratory nature - you won't be disappointed. It's not perfect, but few things in life are.

On 8/21/2016 at 0:29 AM, DonRocks said:

One thing I've always wondered is: What does "trainspotting" even mean? Like "A Clockwork Orange," it's explained in the book, but not in the movie. From Wikipedia: "The cryptic film title is a reference to a scene (not included in the film) in the original book, where Begbie and Renton meet 'an auld drunkard' who turns out to be Begbie's estranged father, in the disused Leith Central railway station, which they are using as a toilet. He asks them if they are "trainspottin'." After that explanation, I *still* don't know what it means, but at least I have a better idea.

It's kinda like bird watching but with choo-choos: Trainspotting

When we were in London last month we took the train out to Hatfield to spend the afternoon with my aunt and uncle.  On the way back to London two older gentleman got on board and were definitely trainspotting.  They had a notebook and started checking off train numbers.  At one point we passed a train stopped on a side rail and they made a notation and one said to the other, "Are you sure?" and the other responded, "Yes, definitely wasn't there last time."  These guys clearly knew their trains.   

On 8/22/2016 at 9:44 AM, Al Dente said:

It's kinda like bird watching but with choo-choos: Trainspotting

On 8/22/2016 at 11:49 AM, Tweaked said:

When we were in London last month we took the train out to Hatfield to spend the afternoon with my aunt and uncle.  On the way back to London two older gentleman got on board and were definitely trainspotting.  They had a notebook and started checking off train numbers.  At one point we passed a train stopped on a side rail and they made a notation and one said to the other, "Are you sure?" and the other responded, "Yes, definitely wasn't there last time."  These guys clearly knew their trains.   

3 hours ago, DanielK said:

FWIW, sequel in production.

Have any of you seen T1? If not, I think you'll really enjoy it. I can't emphasize enough how much you need to use closed captions.

I hope they bring back Tommy in a cameo (a dream scene, or something similar):

Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television. Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed-interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose a three-piece suit on hire purchase in a range of fucking fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pissing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life. But why would I want to do a thing like that?
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Have any of you seen T1? If not, I think you'll really enjoy it. I can't emphasize enough how much you need to use closed captions.

Back in 1996/97 I backpacked my way all over Europe. In hostels, the two movies you could always find in the library were Trainspotting and Pulp Fiction. I spent enough time in Scotland that I could decode the dialogue-- especially after several viewings. 

I loved the flick. The mix of light and dark humor was seamless:

Mark "Rent-boy" Renton: [narrating] I wished that I'd gone down instead of Spud. Here I was surrounded by my family and my so-called mates and I've never felt so alone. Never in all my puff. Since I was on remand, they've had me on this program, this state sponsored addiction. Three sickly sweet doses of methadone a day instead of smack. But it's never enough. And at the moment it's nowhere near enough. I took all three this morning and now I've got eighteen hours to go until my next shot. I've got sweat on my back like a layer of frost. I need to visit the Mother Superior for one hit. One final hit to get us over this long, hard day.

[to Swanney 'Mother Superior']

Mark "Rent-boy" Renton: What's on the menu this evening, Sir?

Swanney: Your favorite dish.

Mark "Rent-boy" Renton: Excellent.

Swanney: Your usual table, Sir.

Mark "Rent-boy" Renton: Oh, why thank you.

Swanney: Would Sir care to pay for his bill in advance?

Mark "Rent-boy" Renton: No. Stick it on my tab.

Swanney: Ah, regret to inform, sir, credit limit was reached and breached quite some time ago.

Mark "Rent-boy" Renton: Oh, well in that case...

[hands him some cash]

Swanney: Ah, hard currency. Thank you, Sir. Can't be too careful these days. Would Sir care for a starter of some garlic bread perhaps?

Mark "Rent-boy" Renton: No, thank you. I will proceed directly to the intravenous injection of hard drugs, please.

Being a quarter Scottish, I also got a kick out of:

Tommy: Doesn't it make you proud to be Scottish?

Mark "Rent-boy" Renton: It's SHITE being Scottish! We're the lowest of the low. The scum of the fucking Earth! The most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization. Some hate the English. I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are COLONIZED by wankers. Can't even find a decent culture to be colonized BY. We're ruled by effete arseholes. It's a SHITE state of affairs to be in, Tommy, and ALL the fresh air in the world won't make any fucking difference!

*** WARNING: SPOILERS FOLLOW *** (Do I need to even bother with such a message at this point?)

At what point in the film did Begbie turn out to be such a prick? I don't remember him being one at first, and then I started noticing, 'Gee, this guy is a real jerk,' and then he became downright dangerous. Or, was he like that the entire film, and I just didn't notice?

16 hours ago, DonRocks said:

*** WARNING: SPOILERS FOLLOW *** (Do I need to even bother with such a message at this point?)

At what point in the film did Begbie turn out to be such a prick? I don't remember him being one at first, and then I started noticing, 'Gee, this guy is a real jerk," and then he became downright dangerous. Or, was he like that the entire film, and I just didn't notice?

I'm not sure. I seem to remember him having a short fuse from the get go.

***SPOILERS FOLLOW***

I loved this film. I thought I had seen it before, but I must have been thinking of Sid and Nancy. Despite their flaws, or more likely because of them, I found the characters (with the exception of Begbie) surprisingly endearing. The scene with the baby in the crib was one of the most harrowing things I have ever seen. 

T2-Trainspotting opens locally on 23 March at Landmark Bethesda Row.  Danny Boyle and Sony/Tristar are on the road promoting the sequel by giving interviews and hosting screenings. Last Thursday, I was at a screening with an after-screening appearance by the director for a Q&A. He was funny, smooth, and lively. He suggested rewatching T1 AFTER seeing T2 because its story does "loop back" to T1. I don't know if it's medically possible to survive rescreening T1 after seeing both movies within 36 hours (maybe 127 Hours would be safer). 

Danny Boyle explains the term trainspotting at the minute mark of Fox5's Kevin McCarthy 16 March 2017 interview: