UEFA Champions League, 2016-2017 Season

Ericandblueboy

Leo Messi apparently lost a tooth in El Clasico but he scored 2 goals to bring Barca to the top of La Liga for now.  It was a crazy game, not including Marcelo elbowing Messi and Ramos trying to take Messi out.  Barca's lack of defensive organization was a problem but Messi's inspired play made up for that deficiency.

Their two best wins in recent memory (PSG and this) were due purely to heart and not tactics. I tried streaming this match yesterday and after about 40 different streams crapped out on me I gave up around the 87th minute, resigned to a tie. Then I forgot to check the final score and got a text an hour later from a friend. I was very pleasantly surprised. What a goal for Messi to get his 500th.

On 6/2/2017 at 6:36 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

Champions League Final is tomorrow, Saturday at 2:45 p.m. EST.  Go Juve!

There's no shame in losing to Real Madrid, that's for sure.

"Juventus 1 Real Madrid 4: Zinedine Zidane's Winning Machine Reach Super-Club Status as They Retain Champions League Title" by Sam Wallace on telegraph.co.uk

"How Real Madrid Won Its Second-Straight Champions League Title" by Andrew Das and Rory Smith on nytimes.com

---

You have to give Zinedine Zidane credit - he's someone who always uses his head.

Can someone please explain the US soccer fan romance with Spurs? 

Now, Daniel, I know you have followed the footy for a long time and are very knowledgeable of the Beautiful Game, but I know several people who used to have no love for soccer and now are Spurs fans.  A decade or so ago, Chelsea and Arsenal were the trendy London clubs that US fans loved to love...but now it seems Tottenham are that team...but they are chronic underachievers (despite decent results over the past couple of years).  It seems, to me, like an odd team for a US-based follower of the EPL to hitch one's wagon to.  

7 minutes ago, Tweaked said:

Can someone please explain the US soccer fan romance with Spurs? 

Now, Daniel, I know you have followed the footy for a long time and are very knowledgeable of the Beautiful Game, but I know several people who used to have no love for soccer and now are Spurs fans.  A decade or so ago, Chelsea and Arsenal were the trendy London clubs that US fans loved to love...but now it seems Tottenham are that team...but they are chronic underachievers (despite decent results over the past couple of years).  It seems, to me, like an odd team for a US-based follower of the EPL to hitch one's wagon to.  

No idea.  I think they have boring kits.  They've done well in the EPL the last couple of seasons but they won't spend any money to get them over the hump.  So they're kind of like Arsenal.   

I can understand US-based support for Arsenal.  When the EPL started to take off in the States, circa late 1990s early 2000s, Arsenal were really good (the Henry Vieira years etc.), so I think you have some early watchers who would pick Arsenal based upon that...similar with Chelsea when Abramovich took over in the early 2000s.

But Spurs have never had that.    

Kasey Keller playing there was a big influence in my choice, but also the Jewish connection, and not wanting to back ManU, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc. like everyone else.

But I'm not a Spurs fan like I am a DC United fan. I don't own a Spurs jersey, I'm not going to pay to watch a match on PPV, I'm unlikely to even go to a Spurs DC match watch at the Irish Channel. I don't hate Arsenal, and I cheered for Leicester City a couple of years back. Spurs aside, I'll root for whichever team is playing an American. :-)

• Like 1

Interesting I didn't know about the Spurs/Jewish connection.  My college friend who is suddenly a Spurs fan is also Jewish.  And he hated watching soccer in college.

I think the only time I took interest in Spurs was when they were trying to buy Bobby Convey, and DCU played them at RFK.

• Like 1