Chutney Indian Restaurant, Coming to University Boulevard and Georgia Avenue in Wheaton

I noticed a sign while driving today for Chutney Indian Restaurant supposedly coming soon to a space near the intersection of Georgia Avenue and University Boulevard in Wheaton. I don't know what used to be in the space. The only information I can find online is this skeletal Eater post. I'm wondering whether this place has any relation to the restaurant of the same name in Columbia, for which I can't find a thread despite rave reviews on Yelp and TripAdvisor (I know, I know ... but still).

I wouldn't mind at all having a closer option for Indian food than Ghar-E-Kabab, which I think is our closest option now. (I live near the Forest Glen metro.)

• Like 2

On 8/22/2016 at 10:38 PM, dracisk said:

I don't know what used to be in the space.

Believe it or not, it used to be the Anchor Inn (yep, even has a Wikipedia entry), one of my "birthday treat" restaurants when I was a young tyke of about six.

Anchor Inn closed in 2004, which is before this website existed, so because of that unfortunate technicality, it doesn't make the Oldest Restaurants in the Washington, DC Area list. However, it still holds a special place in both my heritage and my heart.

Until this post, I am probably the last person left on earth to know that Harry Scaggs, owner of the Anchor Inn, was the "Harry" in Fred and Harry's in Four Corners, which opened in 1946, remaining in business for 55 years, until 2001.

I used to go there (Fred & Harry's) after tennis for steamed clams with yet *another* restaurateur named Harry: Harry Jenkins, whose wonderful family used to belong to (and play tennis at) Twin Farms Swim and Tennis Club on Fairland Road in Silver Spring. Harry owned Harry's Cafe on Old Columbia Pike near Paint Branch High School, and before that (this is another impossibly arcane piece of trivia), he was at least past-owner of the restaurant that took the place of Leonie's at 1500 E. University Blvd. in Langley Park, um ... um ... it was a seafood restaurant and I can't remember the name.

Where is Joe Heflin? This will be keeping me up at night. It was on the northeast corner of New Hampshire Avenue and University Blvd., I believe the same shopping center where Pho 75 is now. Damn it, damn it, damn it, what was it called?

BTW, if anyone knows Harry Jenkins' daughter Liz, could you please have her contact me? There's something I've been meaning to apologize for, literally for the past 35 years (nothing weird; I just missed a tennis tournament we were scheduled to play in, and it has weighed heavily on my soul for a long, long time).

• Like 1

On 8/26/2016 at 7:24 PM, DonRocks said:

Believe it or not, it used to be the Anchor Inn (yep, even has a Wikipedia entry), one of my "birthday treat" restaurants when I was a young tyke of about six.

Anchor Inn closed in 2004, which is before this website existed, so because of that unfortunate technicality, it doesn't make the Oldest Restaurants in the Washington, DC Area list. However, it still holds a special place in both my heritage and my heart.

Still (kind of) lives on with the name and signage for the strip on its old plot. "Georgia Crossing at the Anchor Inn"

https://goo.gl/maps/Xdfm1KTaNy92

We were more of a Sir Walter Raleigh Inn family ;)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kev29 said:

Still (kind of) lives on with the name and signage for the strip on its old plot.

I could have sworn I'd seen the Anchor Inn sign, but since it closed in 2004 and was torn down in 2006 according to Wikipedia, I thought I was wrong. Good to know I'm not losing my mind!