Ramen is the New Prison Currency

pras

43 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

With the expansion of sous-vide cooking, I'd be shorting this stock. :ph34r:

(Get it? Stock?)

Well, in a sense, regardless of your pun, the article talks about slowly re-hydrating with warm water, so maybe you have something there.

Not going to reveal how exactly I know this but everything has currency in prison. FWIW, things with "spicy" on the label are also valuable as are little mayo, mustard, hot sauce packs. Send a deodorant with tape on the top: tape has value. Stamps? Like sending cash.  Shoppers food warehouse is the best supply shop for little serving sizes of things in case you ever need to know that.

Edited to read: I have not ever even been arrested much left served time.

1 hour ago, NolaCaine said:

Edited to read: I have not ever even been arrested much left served time.

So not only is she so nervous that she feels the need to edit her post, but her Freudian slip indicates that she has much time left to serve. 

It's okay, NolaCaine, we've all done things we aren't proud of; it's just that some of us haven't gotten caught.

:lol:

• Like 1

On 8/23/2016 at 0:46 PM, pras said:

Ramen is the new prison currency (from the Washington Post)

So many disturbing factoids in that article. They discontinued lunch on weekends?! And on the days they do serve lunch they expect (mostly) grown men to subsist on a sandwich and a bag of chips?

Also on the topic of food in prisons, my friend wrote an article for Slate a few years ago about Nutraloaf, which is served by many prisons, asking whether the dish is so disgusting as to make it cruel and unusual punishment and thus a violation of the Eighth Amendment: Taste-Testing Nutraloaf by Arin Greenwood in Slate.

4 minutes ago, dracisk said:

Also on the topic of food in prisons, my friend wrote an article for Slate a few years ago about Nutraloaf, which is served by many prisons, asking whether the dish is so disgusting as to make it cruel and unusual punishment and thus a violation of the Eighth Amendment: Taste-Testing Nutraloaf by Arin Greenwood in Slate.

A guilty pleasure of mine is watching Lockup on MSNBC.  When they did the Fairfax episodes, they talked about Nutraloaf a lot.  If someone at the Fairfax Jail gets put into seg, that is what they are fed.