The Meat-Shaped Stone - A Qing Dynasty Sculpture of Dongpo Rou (Braised Pork Belly)

Tweaked

For the first time ever, The Meat-Shaped Stone, a Qing Dynasty sculpture of Dongpo Rou (braised pork belly) is being exhibited in the United States.  The sculpture is carved jasper, finished with wrinkles, dimples, and soy-sauced rind.  

The sculpture is part of the Emperors’ Treasures: Chinese Art From the National Palace Museum, Taipei currently on exhibit at the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco (ends Sept. 18, 2016) 

The exhibit also includes a jadeite bok choy cabbage...but that's not quite as cool.

pork.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 4:25 PM, Tweaked said:

The exhibit also includes a jadeite bok choy cabbage...but that's not quite as cool.

Hey...matter of opinion... ;) I happen to have one cool jadeite cabbage copy magnet on my fridge! (They didn't sell a good-looking dongpou pork version. :blink:)

It's not very big, but very artistically done. I think both pieces are about the size of an adult's palm....

Little man and I waited about 20-30mins in line at the National Palace Museum, with a lot of pushing from unruly tourists. So if you can see it without a long queue, I think it's cool and worth it...