Introducing Mothersauce Partners

Nick Freshman

Hello Community,

I wanted to spread the word that I have a new company. Mothersauce Partners provides capital and expertise to food and drink concepts. I am moving back from starting up my own concepts, and moving towards financing and advising other entrepreneurs. There is so much amazing talent around here, and many of them only need some early stage help to get going. We have already committed to our first project--Takoma Beverage Company in Takoma Park--and we are working on several more.

If you want some more information on how to invest with me, or if you are or know of that culinary badass that I must meet with, send me a message or visit the website. On it there is more information, sign up buttons, and...wait for it...my blog. Don's not the only one who writes...:D

By the way, if you are wondering about the name, that is on the site too, but if you are on this board, you really should already know...

I look forward to connecting with a lot of you!

Nick

• Like 3

On 8/26/2016 at 8:55 AM, Nick Freshman said:

Hello Community,

I wanted to spread the word that I have a new company. Mothersauce Partners provides capital and expertise to food and drink concepts. I am moving back from starting up my own concepts, and moving towards financing and advising other entrepreneurs. There is so much amazing talent around here, and many of them only need some early stage help to get going. We have already committed to our first project--Takoma Beverage Company in Takoma Park--and we are working on several more.

If you want some more information on how to invest with me, or if you are or know of that culinary badass that I must meet with, send me a message or visit the website. On it there is more information, sign up buttons, and...wait for it...my blog. Don's not the only one who writes...:D

By the way, if you are wondering about the name, that is on the site too, but if you are on this board, you really should already know...

I look forward to connecting with a lot of you!

Nick

From a certain long term, but always somewhat limited view via the context in which I've seen it, this is probably a great opportunity for people in the food industry with energy, ideas and a drive to develop their own restaurants, bars, etc.

For about 2 decades as a commercial real estate agent I often made retail and specifically restaurant deals/leases.  Often representing the tenant.  Often meeting and getting to know the entire ownership.  After years of this often there seemed to be something missing.  Experience in either the kitchen or from the front of the house was matched with outside money that had zero knowledge of the industry.  If there was kitchen experience, there was something missing for handling the front of the house.  If the money partner was completely divorced from the industry...there was money, maybe business expertise, but huge knowledge gaps with what might be necessary for getting these restaurants, up, running and hitting stride.  The same would occur for front of the house experience with money--> huge gaps with regard to the back of the house, and other elements.

More recently from the perspective of the bar school as to staffing and some other issues where I've been working it extensively we see restaurants go up with similar gaps.  Every year I'll see some of this.

The folks with industry experience who need financial assistance would benefit more from not only the funding, but the critical expertise in getting places up and running, operating, and getting the word out to the public.   This seems like a great potential match and opportunity.

Bravo.   (and definitely good luck.)

---

Gotta add something.  I spoke recently with an old friend who remains aware of the restaurant and rental markets.  Cripes rents are crazy high.  In various submarkets with some "appeal" or noteworthiness, but not necessarily the strongest markets in the region...rental quotes are just crazy high.  And then on top of that is buildout.  Simply enormous.  The areas we spoke about are more inside the beltway than outside, but on top of that there are nodes outside the beltway where rents are crazy high (at least in my mind).

I have no feel for the rents in the  Tyler Cowen "specials" in strip malls around the region.  Its something I used to have tremendous command of....but absolutely no feel for those rents today/ or if they have escalated similarly to inside the beltway...but I hope they offer tremendous rental relief as they did in the past.

And finally he spoke to "special price deals".   There continue to be those in the region.  It takes a lot of looking.

In any case I can only suggest if a culinary star is looking to open a restaurant, knowledgeable experience on the business side on top of the money goes an incredibly long way to help.  I'd look for assistance such as Nick Freshman's group above.