Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Etc. (Global Entry Is Probably What You Want)

DonRocks

I'm pretty sure there's a thread on here about this - does anyone remember where it is?

I just pre-applied for TSA Pre-Check, and my appointment is on September 12th (that was the first available). There are centers you can go to outside of airports, which sounds a whole lot better to me.

It's $85 for five years (but with this card, you get a $100 reimbursement). 

There are other programs too, such as "Global Entry," and I think we had this discussion before. Can anyone remember where it is?

Is TSA Pre-Check good enough? Or is there something better?

Do global entry. It is marginally more expensive but it includes precheck for free and let's you basically skip immigration and customs. If you have status with an airline or credit card they may reimburse you the fee. 

• Like 3

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought TSA Pre-Check was for getting through security before getting on a plane (you don't have to take off your shoes, take out your laptop, etc.) and Global Entry was for getting through immigration upon arrival after an international flight (kiosks rather than waiting in line to see a CBP officer).

I think I know where that other thread is -- I'll try to find it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dracisk said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought TSA Pre-Check was for getting through security before getting on a plane (you don't have to take off your shoes, take out your laptop, etc.) and Global Entry was for getting through immigration upon arrival after an international flight (kiosks rather than waiting in line to see a CBP officer).

I think I know where that other thread is -- I'll try to find it.

I think Global Entry is TSA Pre-Check *plus* immigration/customs. It's all in that other thread. 

5 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I'm pretty sure there's a thread on here about this - does anyone remember where it is?

I think this is the thread you're looking for. Bart has a great post on December 17th (top of page 2 in the version I'm looking at) about TSA Pre-Check and Global Entry.

---

[Yes, indeed it is. Many thanks! Rocks]

yes, basically, if you've enrolled in any of the CBP trusted traveler programs, you will get TSA PreCheck.  if i recall correctly, Global Entry expedites arriving in the U.S. via airplane.  SENTRI expedites land crossings on the southern border, and NEXUS expedites land crossings on the northern border.  One of the main things to remember is that PreCheck only applies to U.S. airports (i.e. those whose security are managed by TSA).  It generally won't help you with international airport security.

2 hours ago, rbh said:

yes, basically, if you've enrolled in any of the CBP trusted traveler programs, you will get TSA PreCheck.  if i recall correctly, Global Entry expedites arriving in the U.S. via airplane.  SENTRI expedites land crossings on the southern border, and NEXUS expedites land crossings on the northern border.  One of the main things to remember is that PreCheck only applies to U.S. airports (i.e. those whose security are managed by TSA).  It generally won't help you with international airport security.

This is all correct.  Global Entry is absolutely worth it if you travel internationally pretty much at all.  Ten minutes customs hall to curb if you carry on.  Do NOT, however, do what I did and sign up for NEXUS because why not?  (I'm originally from Detroit and do pop over to Canada sometimes.)  NEXUS interviews can't be done here; they have to be done at a limited number of border stations so that both the Canadians and Americans can interview you.  It was a huge pain that set me back until my next trip to one of the border cities.  Don't know about SENTRI but suspect there may be similar issues.  

Also, remember to keep your personal data on their online system up to date.  They're not great about contacting you when they need something.

• Like 1

[I'll delete this post, but I just want to chime in and say that our members are wonderful. Just their willingness to help anyone who needs an answer to something - that, alone, is enough for me to keep this community alive and well. In my eyes, "kindness" is perhaps the greatest of all human virtues, and our members display it in abundance. Grateful for you all ... Rocks.]

• Like 1

TSA Pre Check is great when available but it isn't always available. It depends on both the airport and the carrier.  For example my last two international flights were on a carrier that wasn't part of the program, so even though we departed from Dulles, we couldn't use it.

Coming back from Las Vegas last March, every single security booth was open, but there were so many people trying to get through there weren't enough bollards to contain them all in line and it was just a crowded effin' mess in the main hall. I walked right past all that and through security in about two minutes.

People will complain that Pre Check is becoming so popular, the lines are too long to make it worthwhile. I disagree. The lines are sometimes longer, yes, but they move much faster, because people aren't unpacking everything and removing their shoes. Even if the line isn't faster, it's still less hassle.

I've posted about Global Entry in a few other threads, but in summation: it's a hell of a lot faster than the normal CBP lines.  We arrived at LAX at the same time as another large plane - estimated about 500 people trying to get through at the same time. It took us only a few minutes, and the only delay was because another traveler asked for help, so we walked him through it.

I've a friend who isn't willing to "bribe the government" in order to travel with less hassle, and I admire them for holding to principle. If you have no such concerns Global Entry and Pre Check are worth it.

We've yet to determine if NEXUS is worthwhile. We went through all the hoops and had our interviews at a US facility, only to find out that the last step is an iris scan that can only be done at a few Canadian airports. Oops.

39 minutes ago, porcupine said:

I've a friend who isn't willing to "bribe the government" in order to travel with less hassle, and I admire them for holding to principle. If you have no such concerns Global Entry and Pre Check are worth it.

This all sounds a lot like EZ-Pass to me (which I wouldn't drive without).

(EZ-Pass, ironically, is a much more "pure bribe," because that involves "money, and only money"; Global Entry isn't much different than being screened by the FBI to become a Big Brother or Big Sister: Prove in advance that you're a low-risk person, and head on through (I don't think the fees are about profiteering; I think they're about paying for the program - a "use tax," if you will). Even still, it all boils down to "as soon as you prove you're low-risk, you can head on through" (EZ-Pass is pre-paid, so you're low-risk to evade the toll) - I think your friend needs to do some serious reevaluation. Now, toll lanes ... *that* is a pure bribe, because some people pay; others don't - does your friend sit in heavy traffic and stew because they don't want to bribe the government to use the toll lanes? Do they avoid paying double to buy a Fast Pass at amusement parks because the less-fortunate have to wait? Stay in youth hostels since others can't afford nice hotels? Dedicate their life to working with the downtrodden instead of taking a higher-paying job? If so, God love 'em for being consistent, and I'd like to meet this saint.) :lol:

PS - I will admit that I do feel pangs of guilt seeing obviously less-fortunate children having to wait in lines to ride roller coasters (seriously).

Just as a note on the Global Entry/TSA Pre-Check.  I love Pre-Check, but it is really annoying when the screeners don't have a dedicated line and you get a card and essentially do half of pre-check.  This just happened to me in Boston of all places because I was flying the shuttle and they have their own security line.  My liquids in my bag were down at the bottom because with Pre-check you don't have to remove them.  Long story short then I got my bags searched because I had to much stuff in my carry on to just reach down in and pull it out before the scanner because I had gone shopping that day and shoved stuff in the top.  So note on using it, still keep your liquids handy at the top of your bag.  Flying out of DC, most all flights I have flown on in the last years have all been pre-check, I can't think of any that haven't and it was really nice, especially if you fly with a laptop and carry on frequently.  People in that line tend to also be more seasoned travelers, so although more people got it this summer because of TSA lines, they still move faster.  

BUT I would definitely recommend getting global entry at the same time.  Even if you use Global Entry once, if the cost is reimbursed by your credit card it is absolutely worth it to do.  When Mom and I came back from Croatia, I went through customs Id check in minutes, then took our bags through the exit with me and waited for her at the other side for about 30 minutes to get through the line with only a purse in her hands (no chance really of secondary screening for her was nice too).  Coming back from Japan, again I could go get our bags, load them on a cart and go through while my cousin was in line and then could go through the second line really quickly with just her purse.  It saves so much time at customs. When Hubby and I come back into the country together it is minutes going through customs.  I got it because Hubby flew internationally so much for Edelman and he had it and was annoyed that I didn't.  So I had my interview before I flew out to Croatia- I literally scheduled the interview 30 minutes before my three hours before international flight check in.  I got my global entry approved before I got back into the country (I was already a trusted traveler with pre-check) and used it on my way home.  Having it now, it is probably one of my favorite travel perks.   

9 minutes ago, jandres374 said:

I may be wrong on this point but I think you can only apply for Global Entry at airports and maybe the Reagan Building downtown.

Not maybe. The Reagan Building is one of the interview sites for GE, and one I recommend, as 1. the interviewers are nicer there, and 2. the interview time is so short, my mom was in and out of there in 10 mins, I think.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, goodeats said:

Not maybe. The Reagan Building is one of the interview sites for GE, and one I recommend, as 1. the interviewers are nicer there, and 2. the interview time is so short, my mom was in and out of there in 10 mins, I think.

Interesting - I chose the other one, in some strip mall in Alexandria, because I thought parking would be *much* easier. I have a reservation there in about a week. Do you see a reason why I should change that reservation to Reagan?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Wait a minute! You said Reagan BUILDING; not Reagan AIRPORT. Never mind!

Did your mom have a reservation, or was she a walk-in. I'll bet your mom is adorable.

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

Interesting - I chose the other one, in some strip mall in Alexandria, because I thought parking would be *much* easier. I have a reservation there in about a week. Do you see a reason why I should change that reservation to Reagan?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Wait a minute! You said Reagan BUILDING; not Reagan AIRPORT. Never mind!

Did your mom have a reservation, or was she a walk-in. I'll bet your mom is adorable.

Because you have to wait a week. There are probably open times tomorrow at the Reagan Building.... We had to reserve a time. IIRC, GE recommends making a reservation. Or requires it. Can't recall. But worth every penny. Especially when going through customs at Toronto Pearson. A nightmare without GE. Actually, the airport custom experience that prompted me to immediately apply for GE, haha.

Do the Reagan Building.  It is quick and painless.  I take the earliest appt and show up a bit early.  Easy peasy.  Everyone in my family has it.  If you are coming into Dulles, When checking through immigration, you go where the airline attendants go (to the far right).  For customs, you go to the far right again.  People not in the know will look at you with ire :-)

Kind of like when I learned years ago if you ordered your Gtown cupcakes in advance you skip the line and people wonder who that uppity lady walking right in is.  Kids like the cupcakes when we are not at Baked and Wired.  

Enjoy your travels

• Like 1

Online app, but they can be pretty quick.  Do the online app to jump start the process.  When you are done entering info they show you what appointments are open.  They are going to take your picture at your appointment so be sure to be pretty that day!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Torshi said:

You have to find your passport!! You do the online app, then grab an appt at the end of the online process.

Yes, it's the same with Pre-Check - in fact, not being able to locate my passport is what stopped me, and gave me time to research about Global Entry, which is absolutely the better choice (and many thanks to you folks for helping me to see the light). 

Still, I have to find that darned passport.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get your Global Entry card from your appointment date? This is a very important question for me.

Not long, but you don't need the card. They automatically update your passport number in the system. 

Don't forget to add your global entry number to your frequent flyer accounts. Otherwise you won't get the pre check benefit in your reservations. 

9 minutes ago, Rieux said:

Not long, but you don't need the card. They automatically update your passport number in the system. 

Don't forget to add your global entry number to your frequent flyer accounts. Otherwise you won't get the pre check benefit in your reservations. 

You have no idea how useful *all* this information is to me - it means I'll be able to use it for an upcoming trip. Now if I could just find my passport this morning, I'll try to get into Reagan this afternoon!

I found my passport, completed the application, and paid the fee. Now, it says "Your application is now pending review...."

How come I didn't get to have an appointment? This is the message I got:

Your application for the Trusted Traveler program is now pending review. PLEASE REMEMBER TO REVISIT OUR WEB SITE FOR YOUR APPLICATION STATUS UPDATES. Your application status and notification of when you may schedule an interview appointment will be posted to your online GOES account. CBP recommends you periodically login to your GOES account at https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov for account updates

29 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

I found my passport, completed the application, and paid the fee. Now, it says "Your application is now pending review...."

How come I didn't get to have an appointment? This is the message I got:

Your application for the Trusted Traveler program is now pending review. PLEASE REMEMBER TO REVISIT OUR WEB SITE FOR YOUR APPLICATION STATUS UPDATES. Your application status and notification of when you may schedule an interview appointment will be posted to your online GOES account. CBP recommends you periodically login to your GOES account at https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov for account updates

When I applied for Global Entry online there was about a 9-day wait until I received verification that I could schedule an appointment.  

That sounds right. I think the review period is a bit shorter now but they have to run you through the security databases before they clear you for the appointment. Think of it like doing a mini security clearance. BTW if you have had a security clearance in the past I think it speeds up the review. 

On 9/3/2016 at 1:13 PM, LauraB said:

When I applied for Global Entry online there was about a 9-day wait until I received verification that I could schedule an appointment.  

And so it was for me - 9 days exactly.

However, the first available interview isn't until December 9th at Dulles!

I may have to try and walk-in at the Reagan Building (which had *no* appointments available). BWI's first appointment was in Jan, 2017!

Does anyone have a feel for what my best bet would be this week if I walked in at the Reagan Building?

Is taking the preliminary acceptance letter with you to the airport better than nothing?

(BTW, the Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa *did* reimburse me the $100 application fee.)

That's shocking, and much longer than the waits I have heard of in the past.  I would bet that if you have a couple of hours to kill walking in at the Reagan building would be successful.  The appointments that they schedule are longer than they actually take, so the agents have some free time.  Also, you might try this:  

"Use This Script To Get a Global Entry Interview Much Faster" on reddit.com

4 hours ago, Rieux said:

That's shocking, and much longer than the waits I have heard of in the past. 

Thanks, Rieux and Rovers - I will try walking in at Reagan.

My friend in Napa also scheduled an appointment today, and the first one available at SFO is *March 14th, 2017*.

Not to say that the agencies won't react with additional staffing, but these programs are catching on, and catching on *quickly*.

16 hours ago, DonRocks said:

My friend in Napa also scheduled an appointment today, and the first one available at SFO is *March 14th, 2017*.

Not to say that the agencies won't react with additional staffing, but these programs are catching on, and catching on *quickly*.

No. It's not that "these programs are catching on," but these programs already caught on. I've read they've increased staffing or hours in certain places, but the problem is that most of the interview sites are only at airports because of the way GE is based and structured. We are lucky to have two airports (three counting BWI) and the CBP office (Reagan Building) to choose from, but outside of here, there is only the airport option, hence the wait.

20 hours ago, DonRocks said:

And so it was for me - 9 days exactly.

I may have mentioned this before in this thread, but my son was going out of the country a few years ago and we applied for Global Entry because the family he was traveling with all had it.  We applied on Wednesday, got the verification message on Friday and had the in-person interview on Monday (which happened to be MLK day).  Five days, start to finish! 

I just found out that DHS employees (feds, not contractors, at least for now), can get free TSA Pre-Check. You need to opt in while connected to the DHS network. I'm not sure if it's appropriate to include the link to the opt-in site here, so I'd recommend my fellow DHS employees ask around at work if you didn't know about this already. I just opted in in about 5 seconds (no interview -- I'm sure this is based off of security clearances). Hopefully Global Entry is coming as well!

18 minutes ago, Simul Parikh said:

I get that Chase card today, so hopefully I can get as fast of a turn around as you did, Bart. Have a flight next Thursday, and want to sail through security AND hit the IAD airport lounge!

It won't happen unless you apply for Global Entry today (have your passport and driver's license ready - the application takes about 15 minutes), get a lot luckier than I did with the preliminary acceptance, and walk into the Reagan building next Thursday before you leave. I wouldn't count on this coming to pass, unfortunately (I just checked, and they're open 7AM-7PM Mon-Fri for walk-ins, although there's no guarantee that you'll get an interview if you walk in.)

I'm going to try and walk into the Reagan Building this afternoon, and will let you know what I find - I'm going to ask if a "conditional acceptance" will do me any good at the airport (if there's anything you want to know, ask me in the next hour).

By the way, you can actually start your application right now - you don't have to pay until the very end, and you can save whatever partial information you enter. You should start as soon as you see this post.

I cannot imagine life without EZ-Pass - I suspect it will be the same in the future with Global Entry. Customs is even worse than security, although you don't need to clear it as often.

17 minutes ago, Simul Parikh said:

I get that Chase card today, so hopefully I can get as fast of a turn around as you did, Bart. Have a flight next Thursday, and want to sail through security AND hit the IAD airport lounge!

The super fast turn around was for my son in high school. I assuming his went so fast because he had almost no record of any kind......no debt, no foreign travel, no employer, no arrests, no tickets, etc.

Just now, Bart said:

The super fast turn around was for my son in high school. I assuming his went so fast because he had almost no record of any kind......no debt, no foreign travel, no employer, no arrests, no tickets, etc.

I think the operative phrase in your previous post was "a few years ago."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DonRocks said:

I think the operative phrase in your previous post was "a few years ago."

Maybe so, but I applied a year or so before he did and mine (and my wife's) didn't go as quick.  It probably went faster than what you're experiencing, but I don't really remember.

I remember (and often quote) my son's experience because it was so astoundingly quick and easy and, happened on a federal holiday.  When people talk about how awful the federal government is, I tell this story and compare it to the ordeal of getting a driver's license in Fairfax County which is much more of a hassle for everyone involved, including a mandatory meeting at the government center during work hours with no options for evenings or weekends.  There's your government tyranny right there!!

Well, getting an appointment takes an absurdly long time now, but I'm pleased to say that I walked into the Reagan Building at 2:31 without one, and walked out at 2:39, finished with my interview.

You walk into a little waiting room, with some interesting displays about items seized that contained illegal drugs (click on the photo to read the information about each item):

GlobalEntry.JPG

First, you sign in - the room was empty when I arrived, and there were about a dozen names on the list above mine (I think was the "after-lunch list," but I didn't check all the times). 

Right when I was called in (at about 2:33), another gentleman walked in - when I asked him if he had an appointment, he told me it was at 3 PM, so I walked into the interview room. It's 3 counters, and you just walk in and stand in front of the person interviewing you. They asked me very basic questions (where do you work, have you been arrested, etc.) - btw, I know someone with an old DUI who got accepted (not me!), so having a DUI won't necessarily exclude you, but if you lie about it, you'll probably be declined, so make sure to tell the truth.

He asked me to put my fingers on the scanner, and it was pretty obvious by my fumbling that I'd never been digitally fingerprinted before. I asked him if "conditional acceptance" would do me any good, and he said no (but you never know). Before I left, he gave me a couple little brochures on how to use Global Entry and said I'd receive an email "within 3 weeks" (which could also mean 3 days).

It really couldn't have been any easier or more convenient, but I had a hunch mid-afternoon Thursday might be vacant, and I was right - he told me that they're usually busy, and that I caught them at a slow time.

• Like 1

I stepped into the Reagan Building at 2:31 PM, without an appointment, left at 2:39 PM, and got this email at 2:53 PM:

We are pleased to inform you that your U. S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Global Entry program membership has been approved. You can begin using the program immediately.

What this tells me is that the people interviewing you have the authority to approve you (or recommend to the computer that you get approved), so *be polite*. I'm sure that if you're not immediately approved, there are secondary measures to approve you, but they'll take longer. These folks *want* you to be approved - they need to be careful and thorough, of course, but they're absolutely not out to decline people.

I should add that my background is clean as a whistle, so there were absolutely *no* dings that they could have discovered - not everyone has been as lucky as I have in terms of not having a police record, etc.

---

Edit: The first thing he asked me was whether or not I had travel plans coming up soon, and I (truthfully) said yes. He asked me where, what I'd be doing there, etc.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Simul Parikh said:

So, can just walk in? I have that conditional acceptance, as well.

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2016/06/27/get-a-same-day-walk-in-appointment-at-these-global-entry-enrollment-centers/

Varies by center. You can wait a few minutes, like Don did, or be there hours and not be seen. Calling ahead doesn't seem to help. Pick a free day, bring a book, and play the lottery...

On 9/15/2016 at 3:13 PM, DonRocks said:

He asked me to put my fingers on the scanner, and it was pretty obvious by my fumbling that I'd never been digitally fingerprinted before.

On the off chance that your fingerprints didn't scan cleanly, you may have to go back and get them redone.  When I first got GE, I kept getting sent to secondary until a knowledgeable officer told me that was the likely issue.