Pete Wells (and David Chang and Thomas Keller and Guy Fieri)

Marty L.

Great read. I agree that the main problem with the local star system is when everyone is a two star, no one is really a two star. Sietsema has the same habit, with seemingly the vast majority of his reviews being 2-2.5 stars. 

The flip-side is a one star review might as well be zero, as Chang points out. 

Interesting piece.  I also thought it a great read. 

I'm sure I've posted this before but while Phyllis Richman was still at the Post she gave a rave review of a restaurant opened by an old friend.  I had relocated, had changed my business focus from retail/restaurants to office space and we hadn't seen one another in a while. After reading the article my wife and I visited this place.  The restaurateur, his wife, my ex g/f and I had socialized a fair amount, and he and I had been quite close, both socially and in business.

He was there when we visited and we had an intimate personal tour.  It was a wonderful reunion.  He was "business ecstatic"   The review was driving business like crazy and the restaurant was booming.  And then he took us into a private room, then closed to the public and related this horrible personal story.  We went from ecstasy to agony.  Very memorable.   At that time, in the '80's, the major print source for restaurant reviews was extraordinarily powerful, but more relevant, unrivaled.  Currently with the web, and a wide ranging variety of foodie publications, the unrivaled "power" of the major newspaper is no longer a guarantee.  Yet, a review from the major news source remains the best advertising available.  The Times, The Post, other major urban newspapers are still potential king makers for restaurants, assuming the reviews are great, and potentially devastating when the reviews are terrible.  A very interesting phenomena and one with significant power in the world of restaurants. 

Very interesting reading.