Fondue Fuel

plunk

So I sort of feel like an idiot, but I need some help here. My wife and I were given an Emile Henry Flame-top fondue set for Christmas, and we can't figure out how to power the thing (it didn't come with instructions). Our old set was fueled with sterno, but we can't figure out how to fit a sterno unit in the little flame adjustor thing. It came with a shallow metal "cup" that is covered with a lid with holes and appears to be stuffed with cotton or something. Is this the fuel? A tea light wouldn't work, would it? How do we get this thing up and running? Thanks!

So I sort of feel like an idiot, but I need some help here. My wife and I were given an Emile Henry Flame-top fondue set for Christmas, and we can't figure out how to power the thing (it didn't come with instructions). Our old set was fueled with sterno, but we can't figure out how to fit a sterno unit in the little flame adjustor thing. It came with a shallow metal "cup" that is covered with a lid with holes and appears to be stuffed with cotton or something. Is this the fuel? A tea light wouldn't work, would it? How do we get this thing up and running? Thanks!

fondue fuel ?

The link Mrs. B gave you has the right stuff, but you can also use plain old denatured alcohol from the hardware store, or even 90% alcohol from CVS. The cotton-like fleece you see is meant to absorb such fuels. Just pour in enough to make it good and wet. When you're done with the fondue, extinguish the flame and leave the vessel open so the excess fuel can evaporate; storing the unit with a lot of fuel still in it is a fire hazard. No, a tea light will not work, and will blacken your pot with soot.