The Bakken Pipeline (also known as "The Dakota Access Pipeline") is a nearly 2,000-km pipeline that's to run from Northwest North Dakota to Southern Illinois. However, a portion of it is going to run underneath the Mississippi RiverMissouri River near the Standing Rock Sioux reservation - therein lies the conflict.

"Judge Rules that Construction Can Begin on Dakota Access Pipeline" by Merrit Kennedy on npr.org

A request by the Standing Rock Sioux to temporarily halt construction of the pipeline has been denied by a U.S. District Judge James E. Boasberg, although three federal agencies have, for now, blocked the pipeline at Lake Oahe (which, ironically, only exists because of a dam that was constructed on the Missouri River).

On 9/10/2016 at 7:00 AM, DonRocks said:

The Bakken Pipeline (also known as "The Dakota Access Pipeline") is a nearly 2,000-km pipeline that's to run from Northwest North Dakota to Southern Illinois. However, a portion of it is going to run underneath the Mississippi RiverMissouri River near the Standing Rock Sioux reservation - therein lies the conflict.

That would be the Missouri River, not the Mississippi (as you note below).

I'm not sure what to think about the Dakota Access Pipeline, which was prodded along today by an order signed by President Trump. 

On the one hand, we've built a *lot* of underground pipelines - for water, sewage, natural gas, oil, etc. - and there's certainly precedent for a long, oil pipeline with the Trans-Alaska Pipeline System, and I remember what an enormous amount of controversy surrounded that.

On the other hand, I'm as much of an environmentalist as anyone, and I keep hearing about "environmental concerns" regarding this project - an 1,172-mile-long, underground pipeline that will distribute U.S. dredged oil to other parts of the U.S.

So I don't know what to think - all I ask is that discussion is limited to the facts surrounding this particular issue. Here are some resources:

"Dakota Access Pipeline" on wikipedia.com

"Dakota Access Pipeline Facts" on daplpipelinefacts.com (undoubtedly a website to read with skepticism)

"Trump Gives Green Light to Keystone, Dakota Access Pipelines" by Brian Naylor on npr.org

Even though we're not a partisan website, it's perfectly fine (encouraged, actually) to discuss particular *issues* themselves, on an intellectual or historical basis, and discussing the pros and cons of developing such a pipeline certainly fall within that purlieu as long as politeness and respect towards all points of view control the day.

Jeez, it's a good thing David Koresh wasn't there - or, would it have mattered?

"Authorities Move Into Dakota Access Pipeline Protest Camp" by Morgan Winsor and James Hill on abcnews.go.com

DAPL.jpg

Well, it looks like Marion, IL got spared (the town, not the county - the town is about an hour south of where the pipeline ends) - if you can call it "being spared." The town of Marion is best known for the 1982 tornado (from which I physically saved DIShGo), its Federal Penetentiary, which housed Al CaponeManuel NoriegaJohn Gotti and Pete Rose, and most ironically of all, for being the birthplace of Ray Fosse - do you think the denizens of Marion were happy to "house" Mr. Rose after this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

Jeez, it's a good thing David Koresh wasn't there - or, would it have mattered?

"Authorities Move Into Dakota Access Pipeline Protest Camp" by Morgan Winsor and James Hill on abcnews.go.com

DAPL.jpg

Well, it looks like Marion, IL got spared (the town, not the county - the town is about an hour south of where the pipeline ends) - if you can call it "being spared." The town of Marion is best known for the 1982 tornado (from which I physically saved DIShGo), its Federal Penetentiary, which housed Al CaponeManuel NoriegaJohn Gotti and Pete Rose, and most ironically of all, for being the birthplace of Ray Fosse - do you think the denizens of Marion were happy to "house" Mr. Rose after this?

Ha! Yes, there aren't a lot of Pete Rose fans in my hometown! 

As for Noriega, I think he was supposed to go there, but ended up in Miami.

I was in a church basement for a wedding reception when the tornado hit (a few days after my high school graduation) and ran upstairs to get a peek of it barreling down the street. The wedding photographer took some great photos of it that I think were later published in a book. I didn't go to Maryland to visit my sister until later that summer.

This is a look at the federal prison in Marion from a D.C. point of view.