District Distilling Co. - Chef Justin Bittner, Distiller Matthew Strickland, and GM Said Haddad on 14th and U Street in 14UP

[I hesitate to start new threads but I suspect there will be more posts on this one]

Couple brief thoughts before I forget. Maybe I'll return and do a more thorough writeup. I was able to swing by last Saturday on what I believe was the second full day of business. They already seemed to be humming on all cylinders, service wise. I didn't get to try dinner, but we had several drinks in the bar at a four top table in the corner. Service was extremely friendly - even going as far as to repeatedly apologize for getting in the weeds behind the bar (really, the waits were not bad). The young-ish, attractive crowd seems to have already descended on the place. As we left (around 6pm), they seemed to be beginning a brisk dinner service.

They clearly put a ton of design resources into this place. It's slick, modern, with some clever touches. Note: the restaurant/bar is on the 2nd floor, but they have an elevator. By coincidence it turns out my friend Candice is working there, and she mentioned they hope to start distillery tours soon (on the 1st floor, where the hostess stand is).

A special shout to the bar staff: they have some killer signature cocktails, and the bartender that night improvised at my request an ad hoc Cachaça drink (their substitute for not having any pisco for a pisco sour) that was excellent. I'll definitely be back but I suspect this place will get crazy very quickly.

• Like 1

For now, just another scene-y trendy overpriced U Street bar. 

The space is beautiful and large. They thankfully had a plethora of bartenders working to address the opening night crowd. It is LOUD - nothing to dampen sound, so even without any music, you'll be screaming to your companions.

Though their online menu lists house spirits, there are none yet. They're working on it. There's also no Manhattan flight. The drinks were fine to good, but nothing was great, and for $12, there are a lot of great cocktails to be had. They have a gin and tonic on the menu with house-made thyme tonic. My wife ordered one and was given a regular gin and tonic ($7). 

If you're on 14th and U, you're in easy walking distance to The Gibson, Quarter and Glory, and 2 Birds 1 Stone. If you care about cocktails and want to pay $12ish for them, they're all better choices. Though, I whine about the trendy/see-and-be-seen crowd and their bars, but it's clear this bar isn't targeting me, because there were surely a ton of people drinking those $8 Miller High Lifes. 

I won't return until house spirits show up.