Smoked and Stacked - Pastrami on 9th and N Street, Convention Center - Marjorie Meek-Bradley has Departed - Closed and Reconcepting in 2019

I'm sure this thread already exists, but I can't find it.

Went here today for lunch, and really enjoyed it. As opposed to Friday, when they apparently had such a crowd that they ran out of pastrami by 2:30 pm, it was pretty quiet at 12:30 today, with no line, and plenty of seating inside. It's been a while since I've eaten at Wagshall's, so I can't second the position of the Post that it's the best pastrami in the city, but it's a really good sandwich. I had the Stacked, which was pastrami, slaw and dijon mustard on a kind of brioche bun. I got potato salad as well for I'm not sure what reason. The sandwich wasn't huge, but was definitely plenty of food, and as mentioned in the article it was a remarkably engineered sandwich, as it maintained structural stability throughout. And the pastrami itself was pretty fantastic. 

I'll definitely be back. 

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Mark Dedrick said:

, so I can't second the position of the Post that it's the best pastrami in the city, but it's a really good sandwich.........................  And the pastrami itself was pretty fantastic. ................

I'll definitely be back. 

tx for the comments.  I'll be there.

1 hour ago, Mark Dedrick said:

Went here today for lunch, and really enjoyed it. As opposed to Friday, when they apparently had such a crowd that they ran out of pastrami by 2:30 pm, it was pretty quiet at 12:30 today, with no line, and plenty of seating inside. It's been a while since I've eaten at Wagshall's, so I can't second the position of the Post that it's the best pastrami in the city, but it's a really good sandwich. I had the Stacked, which was pastrami, slaw and dijon mustard on a kind of brioche bun. I got potato salad as well for I'm not sure what reason. The sandwich wasn't huge, but was definitely plenty of food, and as mentioned in the article it was a remarkably engineered sandwich, as it maintained structural stability throughout. And the pastrami itself was pretty fantastic. 

I'll definitely be back. 

Remains to be seen whether it can, uh, "stack up" to Stachowski's pastrami -- but the more the merrier!

On Saturday, I had the smoked chicken sandwich.  The various components were very good, but there was a little too much going on to appreciate the chicken itself (and I got only a touch of mayo!).  They might be wise to adjust the proportions to concentrate more on the protein.  And I hope they'll jettison the tomatoes very soon, when the season passes.  Very promising; but still needs tweaking.

13 hours ago, MichaelBDC said:

I'm excited to try the place but wonder about the price.  For the same $13 or less I can score a sandwich from Sundevich, which is just a weak stone's throw up 9th street.  

12 hours ago, Mark Dedrick said:

I'd say the sandwiches are comparable to Sundevich, although I don't believe Sundevich offers pastrami, so they're slightly different operations (although still obviously competing in the sandwich realm. 

Looking forward to trying Smoked and Stacked. I am in favor of more options.

@MichaelBDC went to Smoked and Stacked for a post-run meal. We split the Messy and the Stacked. Pastrami is terrific. The Messy could have used a bit more sauerkraut and thousand island in my opinion, but otherwise, I liked the sandwich a lot. The stacked was also good, but the milk bread isn't my thing. Both sandwiches looked small but I was stuffed after half of the Messy and half of the Stacked. Looking forward to trying the breakfast options soon. 

• Like 1

I tried this place out last week for lunch after getting my hair cut nearby.  I have to say, I was underwhelmed.  I had the messy, which was just ok.  From the reviews I had been expecting something spectacular, on the level of Katz's, but I thought the pastrami was just, well, fine.  It was good enough -- juicy, nicely spiced, but there were some huge unrendered pieces of fat and the meat itself was hard to chew.  I thought the sandwich needed more dressing and kraut, and that it was small.  Maybe the other choices are better.

18 minutes ago, Rieux said:

I tried this place out last week for lunch after getting my hair cut nearby.  I have to say, I was underwhelmed.  I had the messy, which was just ok.  From the reviews I had been expecting something spectacular, on the level of Katz's, but I thought the pastrami was just, well, fine.  It was good enough -- juicy, nicely spiced, but there were some huge unrendered pieces of fat and the meat itself was hard to chew.  I thought the sandwich needed more dressing and kraut, and that it was small.  Maybe the other choices are better.

Here's a thought that immediately jumped to mind: Marjorie would have *loved* to see a picture of this - not posted here, but sent to her in a private message: I suspect she could have learned a lot from the picture. 

This is not diminishing your post in any way (I have absolutely no doubt that what you report is correct) - I'm just thinking that in similar situations in the future, a chef would value a private note with a picture as an addendum.

If anyone does this, and wants me to act as an intermediary, I'll be happy to.

Cheers,
Rocks

21 hours ago, eatruneat said:

@MichaelBDC went to Smoked and Stacked for a post-run meal. We split the Messy and the Stacked. Pastrami is terrific. The Messy could have used a bit more sauerkraut and thousand island in my opinion, but otherwise, I liked the sandwich a lot. The stacked was also good, but the milk bread isn't my thing. Both sandwiches looked small but I was stuffed after half of the Messy and half of the Stacked. Looking forward to trying the breakfast options soon. 

@Eatruneat failed to mention that the pickles are fantastic.  Somewhere between a half-sour and a dill.  We'll be sure to order extra next time if possible.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2016 at 4:09 PM, Rieux said:

Stopped in for my first time today and while my experience differed in some ways from yours, there were more similarities. The sandwich arrived wrapped and in a container, and while it doesn't appear to be overly large, I found the portion size to be generous. The pastrami was thinly sliced--not shaved, but probably 1/8 inch thick. The meat was tender and nicely seasoned, but the entire sandwich seemed too dry. The milk bread bun was good, but if it was toasted, it wasn't obvious. I'd wager with a little TLC, this sandwich would be superb, but it was average during my lunch experience today. At $13, it's not outrageously priced for DC, but it's served without any sides apart from a pickle spear. 

Oh, and the pickle was as good as others have mentioned!

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 4:10 PM, reedm said:

Oh, and the pickle was as good as others have mentioned!

So I feeling pretty happy that I got to try Smoked & Stacked for a late breakfast this morning, but now I'm pissed I didn't read the forum here first and ask for a pickle. I guess they don't give them with the breakfast sandwiches, but as a pickler I always want to enjoy a good one. Oh well, next time. I had the New Yorker sandwich which was rather good - the pastrami was good, but not spectacular, also hidden somewhat under the runny egg and pepper jelly - a good combo nonetheless. I think the milk bread was a decent bread option to make this sandwich less messy, but it was not really my thing for pastrami or even an egg sandwich. Toasted rye or even an English muffin would probably be better for breakfast and I don't think I'd like milk bread for a pastrami with mustard.  My verdict is that it is pretty good but only if you are nearby.  The staff was super friendly to me and the few other customers. Also, I will say as I lingered in the restaurant that the pastrami smells were great.

• Like 3

Made a second trip to Smoked & Stacked last week for lunch and really enjoyed the daily special of burnt ends on the milk bread. I am not a bbq aficionado by any means but really enjoyed the burnt ends. They were moist and not particularly saucy. I was too hungry to pay much more attention to the meat but I liked it a lot. I am still unsure about the milk bread but I liked it more with this sandwich than with pastrami on the stacked I tried earlier. I also ordered a side of coleslaw which was average and not really worth getting unless you don't think a sandwich is sufficient.

Good news is that they have extended their hours and are open until 9pm Thursday - Saturday. They also deliver via grubhub and caviar and if you are at Lost and Found across the street, they'll walk over your order for you. 

• Like 2

I went here a lot because I live a block away.  Their "Cali Girl" sandwich used to be on delicious fresh milk bread with a great runny egg, until about a month ago, when it was on clearly delivered bread with an egg-mcmuffin type hard egg.  Gross.  I suspect when Marjorie left to St. Anselm the money went with her. 

4 minutes ago, funkyfood said:

I went here a lot because I live a block away.  Their "Cali Girl" sandwich used to be on delicious fresh milk bread with a great runny egg, until about a month ago, when it was on clearly delivered bread with an egg-mcmuffin type hard egg.  Gross.  I suspect when Marjorie left to St. Anselm the money went with her. 

The last comment on the PopVille story noted that quality went down when she left. Sounds like the free market has spoken.