Al Dente and Billy the Kid

DonRocks

So here's the deal. My grandfather only met his father a couple of times. I guess Grandpa decided to, uh, embellish his heritage a bit. You're right Don, I'm not related to Bob. 

My great-grandfather came over on the boat from either Poland or the Ukraine, settled in Detroit, married my great-grandmother who played piano in speakeasies (my daughter Ruby is named after her), and then did time in prison for bigamy (!) and tax evasion. He may have been involved in smuggling liquor from Canada into the US during prohibition. We recently discovered this info and it's interesting because my great-grandfather was Jewish. My grandfather's brother, who was notoriously anti-Semitic, went to his grave never knowing that he was half Jewish!

So, I'm going to drop my vendetta against Billy the Kid's family.

Other parts of my family claim to be related to Robert Fulton and Robert Burns. So, there are a lot of Bobs for some reason.

Shalom and Happy Trails,

Al

31 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

I was disappointed to find out it wasn't true. Though, by all accounts, Bob was a real dick. Hmmm. Maybe I AM related to him.

Yeah, I read some history about Robert Ollinger - he was apparently a killer under the guise of being a Texas Ranger (the more things change ...)

I don't know this for a fact (nor will I ever at this point), but I suspect some of my 19th-century relatives weren't exactly saints - some things are best taken to the grave.