Tasting Menus for Beginners

bookluvingbabe

BL-4th grader has decided his goal in life is to have dinner at Victoria and Albert's at Disney World.  But before I commit to that with him (and I have some time as he has to be 10), I thought I might start him off with something local, smaller and less expensive.  And where an enthusiastic 9 year old foodie would be welcomed at 5 pm seating.  

Mr. BLB hates, hates, hates everything about tasting menus so I've let all the options completely fall of my radar.  I'm probably willing to spend $100-ish per person.

Suggestions?

4 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Corduroy bar 3-course for $30.

Interesting! Their website is very out of date (2013) so no mention of the bar menu there but they did list a "surprise 5 course chef's menu" for $70.   We've only been to Corduroy once since they moved!  it's just enough out of the way for us now that it completely fell out of rotation.  

Thanks!

The Corduroy bar menu isn't really a tasting menu, it's more like a pre-theatre special. App/entree/dessert from a short list, and only in the bar. You choose your courses.

However, the $70 in the dining room is the real thing. You'll see ingredients from the regular menu, but not the same dishes. Smaller portions so you don't feel stuffed after 5 courses. We just did this 2 weeks ago, though we're regulars, so we got 2 extra courses and we WERE stuffed when we left.

Just now, DanielK said:

Clarification - they don't advertise it on the website, but if you go to the bar, the menu they hand you states the availability of the 3-courses-for-$30 clearly.

Oh, absolutely. But in order to get to the bar wanting it, you need to know it exists. You will not find that information on the website.  I only know it exists from reading here.

Corduroy is a great option for a 3 course tasting menu.  Another suggestion would be to ask a restaurant that you frequent and knows you to create a little tasting menu for you.  I do this on occasion when re-visiting a place that has gone through a menu change and typically does not offer a tasting menu.

• Like 1

I do a Tasting menu of four or five courses every Friday and Saturday right here at Grapeseed, usually 40 or 45 bucks. Plus you could sit at the kitchen counter and see your menu being prepared, if that would add to it.

Jeff

eta - I put the menu on our facebook page as soon as I write it, sometimes get an email out, And not too often on the website (i am working on that).

This week is red sauce Italian (without any red sauce actually)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jeff Heineman said:

I do a Tasting menu of four or five courses every Friday and Saturday right here at Grapeseed, usually 40 or 45 bucks. Plus you could sit at the kitchen counter and see your menu being prepared, if that would add to it.

Jeff

eta - I put the menu on our facebook page as soon as I write it, sometimes get an email out, And not too often on the website (i am working on that).

This week is red sauce Italian (without any red sauce actually)

I think numerous members here can vouch for this.

3 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I think numerous members here can vouch for this.

Indeed! My husband and I did the pork and pinot menu (was that summer of 2015??*), which was great. We'd love to do another Grapeseed tasting menu, but babysitter procurement is very infrequent.

ETA: No, it was January of this year. For some reason I was associating the evening with warm weather.