Lamar Jackson (1997-), Baltimore Ravens Quarterback, and 2016-2017 Heisman Trophy Winner for Louisville

DaveO

Do you watch college football?  I do.  Not voraciously but sporadically.  Its somewhat like watching college basketball vs the pros.  One phenomena is that when a player sticks out and is so remarkably more talented than everyone else he creates memorable unmatched plays and generates astonishing displays of athleticism.

Over the past quarter century or so probably the single most exciting player in college football was Michael Vick.  Vick;  pretty interesting career and life.  He was a combination running/throwing quarterback at Virginia Tech, probably led them to their best records, and made remarkable play after play.  He was the fastest quarterback in memory, was a shifty runner, had a cannon of an arm.  He could create excitement with his arm or his legs.  In college, his dominance was transcendent.  Often he would step back to pass, the defense would spread to cover receivers, the defensive line would open up and Vick would take off on amazing runs.  Left, right, shifting and faking out tacklers then turn on the super speed.

Vick was a first draft choice around the turn of the century and was so athletically gifted he was often able to replicate those exciting plays in the pros.  He was quite good his first 6 years...and then his own personal tragedy struck.

But enough about Vick.  Currently and last year there is a successor to Michael Vick.  His name is Lamar Jackson and he is the quarterback at University of Louisville.  Jackson is in his second year and is simply shredding defenses.  He simply is the most talented player on the field.  He may not be as fast as Vick but he is similarly shifty and every so often simply leaps over tacklers.  He flicks passes.  It seems effortless.  He is rolling up astounding plays and scoring touchdowns either by running them in or passing for them at an amazing clip.

....and he looks like a man against boys.   Here is a clip of some of his amazing plays.

Lamar Jackson has had Clemson fans peeing their pants for several weeks now. Clemson got off to an unexpectedly bad start, and despite playing strongly these past couple of weeks, has dropped from #2 to #5 in the national rankings (justifiably, I will add).

Both Louisville (now ranked #3) and Clemson are 4-0, and now comes the showdown that Clemson has been dreading. Louisville beat the *snot* out of Florida State, 63-20, and that's just downright insane.

Clemson has more breadth, and also last year's Heisman finalist in quarterback Deshaun Watson, but Lamar Jackson is scaring everyone to death. After just four games, Jackson is on pace for a 75(!)-touchdown season - he scored (threw or passed for) *7* touchdowns yesterday against Marshall, and has *25* in 4 games.

I'll be gone when Clemson plays Louisville, and so much the better: I don't want to see it.

Well he won the Heisman.  Good for him.  Aside from that he is simply the most athletic multi talented offensive player in college football this year with some phenomenal skills.  The only person I can think of who had similar skills was Michael Vick.

Here is one of his doozy's.   The Lamar Leap:

At the start of the next video he rather easily throws a pass a good 50 yards with seemingly little effort, connects with his open receiver and gets a 70+ yard td.  Quite an arm.  A long distance weapon: