Airport Lounges

DonRocks

JFK - Terminal 4

I figure since so many people are getting Priority Pass memberships:

"Chase Runs Out of Sapphire Reserve Metal Cards" on mommypoints.bordingarea.com

that we might as well start an airport lounge thread. It's probably best if we put the Airport Code and the Terminal Number at the top - that way, if we ever need to split this into a separate forum (fifty years from now), it will be easier.

Priority Pass gives you access to three lounges at JFK, one of which is Terminal 4: Wingtips Lounge It isn't fancy (it's actually somewhat utilitarian), but it has comfortable seating, and who cares about "fancy" when you have this free of charge?

Wingtips3.JPG <--- Kind of cheesy, but hardboiled eggs and heirloom-ish tomatoes work with me.
Wingtips2.JPG <--- You can grab one to take on the plane, most likely.

WingTips.JPG <--- And, most importantly.

DFW - Terminal E, IAD - Midfield Terminal

Let's face it -- US domestic airline lounges are horrific. I've got a United Club membership, and it's a terrible value unless you're willing to pay a premium just to escape crowded terminals. The food offerings were recently "improved", but that only raised the bar from abominable to pathetic. To top it off, the every lounge has the same options. If I traveled routinely, I'd tire of it quickly.  The complimentary drinks are very limited, so you can't even try to compensate for the bad food with beverages. I was in DFW last week, and the only free beer was bud in a bottle. Ugh. Of course, you could pay premium prices for other beer, wine, liquor, or even champagne. They offered half bottles of champagne for $38.  

I've been to the Etihad lounge in IAD once, and it was incredible. While they offered a mezze buffet, you could also order hot items from a menu, and a server would deliver them. The drinks were basically unlimited. Everything in the lounge was complimentary. Oh, and the staff was incredibly friendly. Priceless. 

• Like 1

DCA - Terminal C

I'm a regular at the American Airlines club, DCA, C Terminal. As reedm notes about most lounges, it's a comfortable and quiet place to sit and relax, but that's about it. I'm mostly there in the mornings, and the breakfast options are pretty meager (Lenders-style bagels, bread loafs, yogurt, hard-boiled eggs, other misc items). They have an automatic espresso/coffee machine that makes mediocre coffees, which I suppose is to be expected. Yet, they have a full bar, staffed full time, and so it seems like they could easily put a real espresso machine behind the bar, and serve real coffee drinks. Oh well. Still beats sitting at the terminal for an hour +.

IAD - Midfield Terminal

I can chime in on the British Airways lounge at Dulles.  Love being able to go in, grab a light snack, and get a glass of champagne before flying abroad.  Helps that they've got free wifi as well.  Friendly staff, although my favorite bartender - who was a loud, jovial type - is recently departed as he relocated.

There are two sections, first class and business class.  The following is for the business class (or comparable status) section.  The First class section has seated dining and better wine selections.

Food options typically include three sandwich types, several cheeses with crackers, and a variety of chips and savory snacks.  Where it shines is with the full service bar and self service wine and beer selection.  NV Champagne is usually good relative to US carriers selection.  The wines are probably in the $15-$25 retail range.  I couldn't tell you what the beers are like, although they have them.

• Like 1

Going by the theory that an uncrowded lounge is a good lounge, my current favorite is the Admirals Club near gate B4 at BOS, which I've only ever used on Sunday evenings and on several occasions I've been the only guest. For food/drink/comfort the Cathay lounges at HKG are hard to beat.

After the DFW Admirals Club wanted $7.50 for a "premium" Dos Equis I had an enhanced appreciation for the non-BMC offering that usually exists at the DCA clubs. Last time I used one of the JFK clubs someone had thrown up on the floor.

Got to experience the "Concorde Room Dining" in the British Airways Lounge at IAD this summer and while the "Seared Polenta Crusted Monkfish with Cockle Marinière Broth, Pistou, and Samphire" was sufficiently pretentious, the people eating at Chipotle or Five Guys in the terminal don't have anything to be envious of. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2016 at 1:18 PM, zgast said:

IAD - Midfield Terminal

I can chime in on the British Airways lounge at Dulles.  Love being able to go in, grab a light snack, and get a glass of champagne before flying abroad.  Helps that they've got free wifi as well.  Friendly staff, although my favorite bartender - who was a loud, jovial type - is recently departed as he relocated.

Wait, Jerry's gone? :(  Getting to chat with him was always a highlight of our lounge visits.  Even when we were only flying in CW, he'd pour from the First bar stock since he saw us regularly. 

On 10/5/2016 at 3:24 PM, thessaly said:

Wait, Jerry's gone? :(  Getting to chat with him was always a highlight of our lounge visits.  Even when we were only flying in CW, he'd pour from the First bar stock since he saw us regularly. 

Gone.  He moved to the Carolinas - on the beach.  Habib is still there, though.