Foster-Harris House, Diane and John MacPherson's Lovely, Elegant B&B in Washington VA

Bob Wells

Yes, we stayed there for one night when we went to Little Washington for dinner at the IALW.  It was quite a number of years ago, so I can't vouch for what it's like today.  I can say that we LOVED everything about the Foster-Harris House.  Our room was lovely and the breakfast we were served was the BEST breakfast we've ever had anywhere!  The couple, John and Diane, who owned and ran the inn were delightful, as was their yellow Lab, Stella. 

Edited to add: I just went to look at their website for the sake of nostalgia and see that they are now serving dinner -- something they were not doing when we stayed there.  If the quality of their dinner is anything like their breakfast, I'd absolutely make it a point to dine there for dinner.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2016 at 0:34 PM, Bob Wells said:

Anyone one been? Going in December for a short 20th-anniversary celebration (dinner and one night). Reviews are uniformly excellent but I would love input from the DR family.

Yes, I stayed here once when I went to Inn at Little Washington. I can't go five stars with this, but I can go four (again, five stars are reserved for resorts in Bali) - but it's a very nice, well-appointed B&B.

I also have a "dirty little secret" about Foster-Harris House that only Patrick O'Connell knows about (nothing bad, and not even about them per se).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LauraB said:

Yes, we stayed there for one night when we went to Little Washington for dinner at the IALW.  It was quite a number of years ago, so I can't vouch for what it's like today.  I can say that we LOVED everything about the Foster-Harris House.  Our room was lovely and the breakfast we were served was the BEST breakfast we've ever had anywhere!  The couple, John and Diane, who owned and ran the inn were delightful, as was their yellow Lab, Stella. 

Edited to add: I just went to look at their website for the sake of nostalgia and see that they are now serving dinner -- something they were not doing when we stayed there.  If the quality of their dinner is anything like their breakfast, I'd absolutely make it a point to dine there for dinner.

Was totally planning on dinner at IALW, but saw that FHH offers an intimate prix-fixe dinner (one seating at 7 pm, maximum 10 diners) for $89 or $129 with paired wines (pp). That seemed too good to pass up given how spectacular the breakfasts apparently are, so I booked dinner in addition to the room.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Wells said:

Was totally planning on dinner at IALW, but saw that FHH offers an intimate prix-fixe dinner (one seating at 7 pm, maximum 10 diners) for $89 or $129 with paired wines (pp). That seemed too good to pass up given how spectacular the breakfasts apparently are, so I booked dinner in addition to the room.

I know you're not going til December, but please do let us know how your dinner was.

Wanted to close the loop on this. Dinner was outstanding! As was breakfast and our room. You can see the current menu on their website, it changes weekly, I think. The portions are not huge but you do not leave hungry. Mrs W. is not a huge fan of the main ingredients of three of the courses we had -- parsnip, duck, and veal -- yet she was completely wowed by everything.

I'm not going to go into too much detail because the owners are selling on 1/31, after a 12-year run. They plan to open a new restaurant somewhere in Rappahannock County (but not in Washington itself -- nothing available; maybe Sperryville). The good news is the new owner is an experienced chef and innkeeper from California and they are confident he will do a great job. But, the place will obviously be different in some respects. Glad we made it just in time!

NB: We stopped in at a shop called Wine and Chocolate and picked up a few of the most beautiful truffles we've ever seen.

• Like 2