1 hour ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Started with Carciofi Alla Romana - now breaded and then deep fried.  Not very Roman unless you mean Rome, Georgia, but tasty nonetheless..

IMG_0052.JPG

This is pretty funny, and you're not wrong - technically, the stalks should be pointing skyward, among other things:

Carciofi alla Romana

However, what you had was more like this, although yours were *really* deep-fried:

Carciofi alla Giudia

• Like 1

I've had both artichoke dishes and cooked Carciofi alla Giudia with a friend expert in Italian cuisine.  I don't think either comes breaded.  Carciofi alla Giudia can be made with or without stem and the stem might be plated on the side not turned to the sky.   Seeing that deep fried stem pointing upward and with enough vino it looks like an erection for kermit the frog or the jolly green giant. Not the most appetizing appearance from my perspective.  mama mia.  Its not requisite. 

In any case there is a lot of paring to prepare this dish.   alla Giudia requires deep frying twice.  I suppose one could bread the artichoke leaves on the second deep fry.   I suspect that it could add different tasty variations.

Here is a somewhat charming story about carciofi alla giudia with some interesting history: