Jethro Tull (1967-2012) - British Progressive Rock Band Best Known for Aqualung

sheldman

On 10/23/2016 at 2:07 AM, DonRocks said:

I was just watching "Mozart in the Jungle," and for some strange reason, got fixated on long-forgotten songs, and I guess it's because of the name that "Bungle in the Jungle" popped into my mind, which will probably have a similar effect on sheldman as "The Swingin' Six," and their "Zip Code" jingle.

At one time, I believe Jethro Tull was respected, but this was probably the song that did them in - it's the equivalent of The Beatles singing "Love Me Do," except in reverse chronological order.

There isn't much to like about this song, and quite honestly, I'd completely forgotten it was by Jethro Tull. What this post does, however, is give me the opportunity to raise a crazy piece of rock trivia.

Jethro Tull was one of the most famous agriculturalists in world history, I swear to God. Click on that link and see for yourself.

It's this alone that validates the post, even though sheldman may be stewing, like a tomato in a pressure cooker. Just to push him over the edge:

Ha!  I will have you know that I LOVE Jethro Tull, and just the other day was practicing "Too Old To Rock and Roll, Too Young to Die" for future karakoe opportunities.  I am especially fond of the faux-Robert-Burns era.  

Someday I will refine and publish my explanation of how you can tell a lot about a 50-ish white USAian man by what proggish rock group he will admit to having loved.  Rush people, Tull people, Yes people, King Crimson people ...

I'm very forgiving of myself for liking a # of groups back in the day.  I rationalize that, since I was only in my teens back in the sixties/early seventies, I was open to more & less critical.  Add to that the fact that I was going to concerts 2-3x/week so that many musicians were seen live, a much more exciting method.  At any rate, except for all too brief flute solos by Anderson (with their "take a breath" sound effects), Tull was a boring, mistake riddled, weird (& not in a good way, even given the times) group.  "Stand Up" might've actually been a better album than "Aqualung" if one chooses to get past the wonder of a "concept album".  Overall, given the abundance of great music I was listening to & seeing, they were mediocre & "ehh".   

And, yeah, you can tell a lot about me by this, as well as my less than enthusiastic response to Yes & Rush.  Now, King Crimson... that was good shit.

On October 26, 2016 at 10:16 AM, Steve R. said:

I'm very forgiving of myself for liking a # of groups back in the day.  I rationalize that, since I was only in my teens back in the sixties/early seventies, I was open to more & less critical.  Add to that the fact that I was going to concerts 2-3x/week so that many musicians were seen live, a much more exciting method.  At any rate, except for all too brief flute solos by Anderson (with their "take a breath" sound effects), Tull was a boring, mistake riddled, weird (& not in a good way, even given the times) group.  "Stand Up" might've actually been a better album than "Aqualung" if one chooses to get past the wonder of a "concept album".  Overall, given the abundance of great music I was listening to & seeing, they were mediocre & "ehh".   

And, yeah, you can tell a lot about me by this, as well as my less than enthusiastic response to Yes & Rush.  Now, King Crimson... that was good shit.

Indeed. But I do also enjoy some Rush and some Yes. But also Gabriel-era (and the first two Collins-era) Genesis. These days, there are interesting snippets of prog in metal.