Prepared turkey for Thanksgiving

TedE

Last year, due to varied and unrelated circumstances, we got our T-Day bird from DCity Smokehouse instead of my "celebrated" 3-day purchasing/brining/air-drying/cooking routine. It was f$%*ing delicious, and my wife has stated how less stressful the whole day was, including the full availability of our oven for other cooking duties.  Needless to say it has been recommended we do it again.  With the impending opening of their new storefront DCity has no idea if they will offer turkeys again this year (and with the departure of the pit master earlier this year I actually don't know if we'd go with them again).

Who has had success with other pre-cooked turkeys in the DC area?  Ideally we'd like to pick up Thursday morning.  I have one recommendation for Wagshal's, and having worked across the street from the Greek Deli on 19th St I know they offer holiday meals.  Any other suggestions?

You are probably looking for a traditional roast turkey, but if you are interested in a smoked turkey, I highly recommend getting one from Greenberg's. I ordered one last year for the first time as a "supplementary" turkey, just to be sure I had enough for sandwiches. It was the best smoked turkey I've ever had. Additionally, prices are very reasonable, and shipping is a bargain. 

I learned Greenberg's is legendary within the state of Texas, so I'd recommend ordering early. Greenberg Smoked Turkey

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, reedm said:

You are probably looking for a traditional roast turkey, but if you are interested in a smoked turkey, I highly recommend getting one from Greenberg's. I ordered one last year for the first time as a "supplementary" turkey, just to be sure I had enough for sandwiches. It was the best smoked turkey I've ever had. Additionally, prices are very reasonable, and shipping is a bargain. 

I learned Greenberg's is legendary within the state of Texas, so I'd recommend ordering early. Greenberg Smoked Turkey

Given how much of a hit it was I would like to do a smoked turkey again, but a traditional roast bird would fit the bill as well.

I'm not necessarily averse to doing mail order for this, but all things being equal I'd like to do something cooked locally.  Keep 'em coming!

1 minute ago, TedE said:

Given how much of a hit it was I would like to do a smoked turkey again, but a traditional roast bird would fit the bill as well.

I'm not necessarily averse to doing mail order for this, but all things being equal I'd like to do something cooked locally.  Keep 'em coming!

I favor local businesses whenever possible, but the convenience of a turkey delivered to my front door gave me one less thing to do. If my memory serves me correctly, I looked for a local option, but didn't find one that worked for me.

I have always cooked turkey, so I completely understand the stress involved when preparing the holiday bird.  

1 hour ago, reedm said:

I've gotten supplemental smoked turkey's from Greenberg for years.  Really great.  Great for variety with traditional cooked turkey, great for extra sandwiches and even on its own for Thanksgiving they have been great.  I second the nomination.

BTW:   Their website is a bit messed up without links.  The phone number is on the site.   But here is an interior page with some description plus a link to how to order-->  http://www.gobblegobble.com/how.php

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DaveO said:

Earl's in Arlington delivers a boatload of turkeys.  I haven't ordered one but good gosh they know turkey and they know turkey stock.  I wish I had personal experience on this but I know they are hugely popular.

I couldn't find the link on their main website, but found it on their twitter: http://earls.fbmta.com/members/ViewMailing.aspx?MailingID=17180395392&StoreCode=

• Like 1

14 hours ago, reedm said:

While I am sorry to hear about the economic fallout of the business, the last Greenberg turkey I ordered 2 years ago was basically inedible- too much smoke and too much salt.