Barking Mad Cafe - Cafe with a Serious Coffee Program, Breakfast, House-Made Pastries, Brunch and Cocktails in Gaithersburg

Barking Mad Cafe has a solid coffee program.  They use Counter Culture beans and can draw a serious espresso.  Their cappuccinos and lattes are also good, although I have had a few cappuccinos that were wetter than I prefer.  They have drip coffee, but no pour over.  The standout, though, is their cold brew.  During the summer, they had two offerings, both on nitro taps.  It's so smooth it's like drinking Guinness coffee.

The coffee served at Barking Mad Cafe would be noteworthy anywhere in the DC area.  IMHO, it's extraordinary in Gaithersburg, which has nothing comparable within a reasonable distance.

I grabbed lunch to go from Barking Mad yesterday when I was running an errand in the area. I had been wanting to try it for a while but it's just a scooch too far from my office.

Got the turkey and brie on cranberry walnut bread with fries and a cup of Counter Culture coffee.  Loved the vibe of the place, sandwich was delicious (my co-worker eyed it longingly) and the coffee was a bit overdone but with enough milk I still managed to finish it.  The employees were friendly and accommodating.  Will definitely make the effort to go again, and sit down this time.

3 hours ago, beachgirl54 said:

I grabbed lunch to go from Barking Mad yesterday when I was running an errand in the area. I had been wanting to try it for a while but it's just a scooch too far from my office.

Got the turkey and brie on cranberry walnut bread with fries and a cup of Counter Culture coffee.  Loved the vibe of the place, sandwich was delicious (my co-worker eyed it longingly) and the coffee was a bit overdone but with enough milk I still managed to finish it.  The employees were friendly and accommodating.  Will definitely make the effort to go again, and sit down this time.

Did you by any chance notice if Barking Mad sells coffee beans?  If they do, is it Counter Culture as well?

9 hours ago, silentbob said:

Did you by any chance notice if Barking Mad sells coffee beans?  If they do, is it Counter Culture as well?

Hmmm - maybe.  The coffee part is separated from the restaurant part and it's possible they sell beans.  I can't be sure - give them a call?

On 2/3/2017 at 10:33 PM, beachgirl54 said:

The coffee part is separated from the restaurant part and it's possible they sell beans.

We stopped by recently and they do sell Counter Culture beans.  The roast dates were much earlier than hoped, but better than nothing I suppose.

On 11/10/2016 at 6:04 PM, Law Taco said:

Barking Mad Cafe has a solid coffee program.  They use Counter Culture beans and can draw a serious espresso.  Their cappuccinos and lattes are also good, although I have had a few cappuccinos that were wetter than I prefer.  They have drip coffee, but no pour over.  The standout, though, is their cold brew.  During the summer, they had two offerings, both on nitro taps.  It's so smooth it's like drinking Guinness coffee.

The coffee served at Barking Mad Cafe would be noteworthy anywhere in the DC area.  IMHO, it's extraordinary in Gaithersburg, which has nothing comparable within a reasonable distance.

Maybe the original baristas are gone? Two visits in the last two weeks generated some pretty poor espressos, a waste of quality beans.

A decent cappuccino tonight, but the rest was forgetful. A bland slice of pork belly for an appetizer was $15. Pizza was bland and undercooked. Pasta was tasty but overcooked. Desserts were more pretty than good. That plus a couple of iced teas was $90 after tax and tip. Service was friendly but slow and amateurish.

I continue to hear good things about brunch, but I can't recommend dinner.

Because the Silver Diner at Lakeforest Mall closed, we weighed options and stopped by yesterday for Barking Mad's Brunch menu (Veg Frittata & Bacon/Blue Burger) and coffee. On weekends, the front café opens at 0800 with a limited menu and the full restaurant opens at 0900 - most nearby places don't open until 1100. The coffee and environment are the best things about this place. My burger was cooked to the correct temp and tasted beefy, but my +1 said the tall Veg Frittata was bland. Their menu is crowd pleasing enough to satisfy most. There were children in the middle dining area, but they were well-behaved and the overall noise level wasn't at IHOP levels. It looked even quieter in the back bar area with tall bistro tables. The friendly and competent server said when the weather gets warmer, they'll also serve in the outdoor patio. The cocktail and craft beer menu might be a reason to return.