Foreign Correspondents, Chef P.J. Stoops' Northern and Northeastern Thai in the Houston Heights - Closed

We coincidentally had reservations at Foreign Correspondents on the day Bon Appetit named it one of the 50 best new restaurants.  This is one of a trio of restaurants opened in quick succession by the Treadsack group in the Heights (see also: excellent Gulf Coast seafood at Bernadine's, and very elevated English pub fare at Hunky Dory), and amazingly, all three impress.  Foreign Correspondents is helmed by a northern-Thai chef and her (not Thai) husband.  The menu is a few steps removed from the typical American Thai joint, and reminds me of the ambitious and unflinching menus at places in DC like Baan Thai and Thip Khao.  No Pad Thai or Drunken Noodles to be found here (and that's a good thing).

While they offer several set menus, which look to be a great way to ease into some of the lesser known dishes, we struck out on our own since a few of the things we knew we wanted weren't included.  Crispy Fried Herbs were light and crunchy, with a great balance of acid and funk, and not a hint of sogginess.  Fantastic start to the meal, and more reminiscent of the fried watercress salad at Sripriphai in Queens than the sweeter version at Thip Khao in DC.  Stuffed sticky rice was a simple but satisfying dish of banana leaf-wrapped sticky rice with a simple squash filling (a salted fish version is also offered).  Laaps are offered in 2 styles with a variety of proteins: Isaan, which seems like what most of us have come to understand as laap, and Lanna, which incorporates prik laap, a chile paste.  We opted for the fried Texas shrimp laap, which comes in the Isaan style.  This was an ok dish, but was a bit on the dry side.  I'm not sure if that is intentional, or a misstep...I would like to head back to try a few other laaps to compare.  Although this is described as spicy, the levels are kept in check, and shouldn't deter any but the most chili-phobic.  I was practically coming out of my skin in anticipation of the crispy rice salad, a family favorite from our nearly weekly visits to Thip Khao when we lived in DC.  This version was good, but leaned a bit too heavily on lime juice, which kind of overwhelmed the dish.  I think a heavier hand with the herbs would balance this out a bit, as the greenery was all but nonexistent in our dish.  I actually self-corrected for this by mixing my crispy rice with the crispy fried herbs, and stumbled upon a truly winning combo.

There was a quick break in the action, as I was brought the balut I ordered for solo consumption, knowing no one else at the table would be interested.  The intact egg is brought out piping hot in a small bowl with various leaves and stems alongside and a dish of what I think is jaew dipping sauce.  After appropriate instruction from our waitress, I dug into an impossibly creamy, custardy egg...just insanely rich.  The embryo itself was on the small side, and other than the initial shock of seeing a little eye looking my way from the egg, did not get in the way of enjoying the dish.  

And amazingly, there is more food to come...

A whole fried fish was nicely prepared and topped with cashews, lime, chilies, and other aromatic things.  Fantastic, and more than enough for 4.  The makrut lime and fish curry was a crowd favorite, and reminded me of tom kha, with just a bit more funk and acid.  I am unable to not order khao soi when I see it, and FC's version was rich, decadent, and did not disappoint.  It is served with a side dish of shallots and lime, and while good on its own, the broth really comes alive with a few squeezes of lime.  Finally (!), the eggplant and pork came in with thick, toothsome slices of heirloom eggplant bathed in a dark, intensely smoky sauce lightened with lemon basil.  So good, and even better for breakfast the next day.

The cocktail menu is creative, and drinks were well-made...You might consider a pre-dinner drink at the connected cocktail bar Canard next door, and go for a glass of Riesling (both off dry and dry selections available, and as the menu says "Not trying to tell you what to do, but Riesling is the best wine to drink with Thai food.")  Services was friendly, efficient, and knowledgeable, and no one batted an eye at us with our 2 little dining companions. (Note: there is also a kids menu with options like thai fried chicken with rice, fried rice with fish, and versions of laap and green papaya salad without the chilies.)

Congratulations to the team at Foreign Correspondents for their BA nod...well-deserved.  We'll be back.

(BTW, that link to the Instagram photo of the balut is my newish Houston account @houston_dining.  Follow along there or on twitter if it strikes your fancy.)

• Like 3

Sad to report that the chefs have left FC, and the restaurant is closed.  They just couldn't fill the big space.  What a loss.  I hope chefs PJ and Apple try again in another space.  Houston needs their food whether it knows it or not.