Bart

2 hours ago, Bart said:

Ever see the Grateful Dead there?

yeah.  ever see the Dead there?   I was there in that era.  Saw other groups but not the Dead there.  That was a smokey place.  ;)

Here is a deadhead story from that era.  A couple of years later I saw the dead in Georgetown.  I was with a group in college in Baltimore.  Earlier that week we had used my car for a grocery shopping excursion for a weeks worth of groceries.  Didn't use the car again that week till the trip to DC.  Frozen fish sticks must have been in the top of one bag and fell out of the bag and under the front car seat.  When we got to the car on Friday it stunk like skunks.  Just horrific.  It was winter and freezing.  We couldn't find the source of the odor.  We drove from Baltimore to DC with windows wide open and freezing.  As we got to Georgetown one passenger kicked under the front seat and found the defrosted spoiled fish sticks.  We threw them out.

Saw the Dead.  It was great.  Of course we were stoned out of our gourds.  The concert was fantastic.  On the drive back the car still reeked.  Froze our stoned butts back on the return drive.  Probably saw the Dead  1/2 dozen times.  What great concerts and what fun. 

One other recollection outside of the music.  Had tickets to a Dead Concert with my g/f and my best friend and his g/f.  Must have been a weekend as we spent the early hours of the day with others eating marijuana cake, cookies, and one I'd never had before or since--marijuana pancakes.  So we had this all day food ingested marijuana high.

The four of us had great seats toward the front.  The concert rocked.  Everyone was standing and rocking.  The entire arena except for our two friends.  I was seated next to them.  While my g/f and I and our other 10-15,000 friends were standing and rocking to the Dead, the couple next to us were seated and telling one another:  "We got to get married."  (and within 6 months they did).  I heard this and started screaming at them.  "You can't do this.  Its a Dead Concert"

Such are priorities.  

But jeez, the Dead.  I knew people who went to dozens of their concerts, possibly more than dozens, traveled around the country.  Did all that dead stuff.  I went to half a dozen concerts.  I was a rank amateur deadhead.   But it was wonderful.  I still listen to their music.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DaveO said:

Here is a deadhead story from that era.  A couple of years later I saw the dead in Georgetown...... 

First, great story, thanks!

Second:

Band Grateful Dead
Venue McDonough Arena - Georgetown University
Location Washington, DC
Date 10/23/70 - Friday posters tickets, passes & laminates
One [48:58] ; Six Days On The Road [3:22] ; [0:36] ; I Don't Know You [3:43] ; [1:16] ; Henry [3:46] ; [1:05] ; Portland Woman [5:33] ; [1:14] ; Glendale Train [4:47] ; [0:22] ; Dirty Business [8:56] ; [0:44] ; Lodi [3:22] % [0:33] ; Last Lonely Eagle [3:22#] % Honky Tonk Women [4:41] ; [0:26]
Two [1:21:23] ; Intro [0:08] ; Casey Jones [4:40] ; [0:45] ; Mama Tried [4:30] ; [0:50] ; Hard To Handle [7:18] ; [0:29] ; China Cat Sunflower [3:03] > Jam [2:32] > I Know You Rider [4:07] ; [0:17] % Sugar Magnolia [5:00] ; [0:27] ; Candyman [7:09] % Me And My Uncle [3:03] % [0:14] ; Drums [0:42] > Good Lovin' [1:50] > Drums [5:32] > Good Lovin' [6:42] % [0:39] % Truckin' [6:28] > The Other One [6:16] > Not Fade Away [3:43] > Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad [5:26] > Not Fade Away [1:43] ; [0:08]
Encore [6:43] ; Uncle John's Band [6:38] ; [0:05]
Comments Total time 2:17:04 +. SET 1 is NRPS with Garcia, pedal steel. SET 2 is electric Dead. There are copies of two different AUD masters of this show in circulation, one made by Cary Wolfson. The tape that includes the fragment of Last Lonely Eagle and Honky Tonk Women is Wolfson's; the other master apparently lacks these tunes. Copies of the second master often have Me And My Uncle moved to before Good Lovin' but the order given here is correct. There was an FM broadcast but no tapes seem to have survived or made it into circulation. There is no SBD of this show in the vault.
Recordings 138 A?
Download Sources
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Bart said:

Third:

t701023.jpg

Check out the ticket stub price; $5.00.  Isn't that astounding?

October and freezing as I recall.  (Global warming??)

I'll spend more time listening to this.  I had a shit eating grin just listening to Casey Jones.  Big thanks.  

Frankly though Farmer John w/30-40 shows has far better Deadhead credentials than me

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveO said:

Check out the ticket stub price; $5.00.  Isn't that astounding?

Nowadays, the fees alone on the tickets would quadruple or quintuple (or whatever comes next) that amount.

I saw the Grateful Dead 107 times and the Jerry Garcia Band something like 15 times.  Good times for sure!

• Like 2

Okay, now we're on a topic I can weigh in on.  Going to H.S. in Bklyn from 67-70 meant, for me, going to the Fillmore East at least weekly and to Central Park's outdoor concerts (Schaeffer sponsored) all summer (approx. 5x/week).  Add to that the fact that there were concerts at the NYS Pavillion in Flushing Meadows, Forest Hills Tennis Stadium and a couple of other venues (even MSG for Cream and the Bangladesh Benefit), and that there were usually 3 performers/concert.  Lots of music.  Then I went to college in Stony Brook, where the student government had access to the "student union fees" & used a lot of it to bring concerts to campus (including the 1970 Halloween night New Riders/Dead show).  And that just gets us to 1974.

Overall, I think I saw The Dead well over 100 times, starting with the Pig Pen days & into Garcia's week on Broadway in the '80s, up until his death (which I'm still reeling over).  My guess is that Mark Slater and I were at a # of concerts together, since his listing are all performers I saw.  Stories (upon request - although all my friends and family leave the area when I start) include sneaking down to an "empty" front row seat at Town Hall during a Richie Havens concert only to find myself between his mother and the rest of his family (they were very nice & it turns out we were all from the same Bklyn neighborhood), waiting on line for a table at an Indian food place (Mitali on E.6th St) with Joe Cocker (who, surprisingly, had no odd body movements off stage), being nude with Mick Jagger (well, okay, it was in a squash club's locker room &, to my wife's chagrin, no I didn't look or take a picture), & sitting next to Jack Cassidy at a bar in Tarrytown before his Hot Tuna concert.

Everyone stop reading yet? :blink:

• Like 3

On 11/15/2016 at 7:14 PM, farmer john said:

I saw them 30-40 times in the early 80's, once they transitioned to big venues like RFK i stopped going and went to more punk rock shows instead.

On 11/16/2016 at 10:29 AM, Bart said:

I saw the Grateful Dead 107 times and the Jerry Garcia Band something like 15 times.  Good times for sure!

On 11/16/2016 at 1:44 PM, Steve R. said:

Overall, I think I saw The Dead well over 100 times, starting with the Pig Pen days & into Garcia's week on Broadway in the '80s, up until his death (which I'm still reeling over). 

30-40 times, 107 plus 15, well over 100 times.   Very impressive.  I bow to your deadheadedness!!!:rolleyes:   I've only got about 6 give or take one.  Now for me, my attendance  waned with less and less use of ganja.  hmmmm   30-40, 107+15, well over 100.  wellllll I don't know...but methinks dealing ganja was a high volume business  ;)

BTW Bill Walton reportedly went to over 850 dead concerts---AND For a PERIOD of time he was arguably the best basketball player in the world, which made him arguably the best basketball player in the entire UNIVERSE.  Dead, concerts, ganja, Walton's All Court Excellence.  I'm convinced they all are related. 

Just my $0.02  :D

On 11/16/2016 at 1:44 PM, Steve R. said:

Everyone stop reading yet? :blink:

NO!  Keep 'em coming!!

You were probably at the legendary 2-13-17 show at the Fillmore East.  Some people consider the Dark Star that night to be the greatest version the Dead ever played.  Not me.  I consider it to be the greatest piece of music ever performed by anyone!

Let me know if you need a copy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bart said:

NO!  Keep 'em coming!!

You were probably at the legendary 2-13-17 show at the Fillmore East.  Some people consider the Dark Star that night to be the greatest version the Dead ever played.  Not me.  I consider it to be the greatest piece of music ever performed by anyone!

Let me know if you need a copy.

Well, there was the 1969 outdoor concert on the lawn at Stony Brook where the Jefferson Airplane went thru their entire Volunteers album, trying to sing loud enough to be heard across Long Island Sound to where the New Haven trials were being held.

I think you got the date of that Dead concert wrong -- what's the correct date?  If you just transposed the year and it was '71, then I wasn't there -- I was at Stony Brook cutting classes.  I never get tired of listening to versions of Dark Star.  The Live album where they wind up singing Incredible String Band's "And We Wish You Good Night" is a classic.  Actually, the ISB's original is great as well.

• Like 1

For those who want  to play along at home, pretty much every show is available over at the Live Music Archive at archive.org.  There was a sweet time when every show could be downloaded..  Eventually a compromise was reached and soundboard recordings could remain on the site but the music can only be streamed.  I believe they pull the soundboard once the show becomes an official release by the band.  Audience recordings, many of which can be high quality, are still available for downloading.  Exactly how a large number of soundboard recordings could have "escaped"  from the vault to be uploaded to this site in the first place is a typically Grateful Dead story that will have to wait for another time and another post.  Enjoy.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mr food said:

and plenty of places on the internet where you can download those sb shows using a bit torrent client. 

Yes, and my understanding is that the band still approves of individuals trading shows between themselves, even soundboards.  Having them gush out of archive.org uncontrolled I think was jeopardizing their copyright on the performances.

Once when I was in high school I borrowed my mother's car and accidentally left a mix tape of Dead songs in the player. A few days later Mom asked whose music it was, then asked me for a copy so she could listen to it in her Walkman. 

A few years after that I scored tix to a Dead show, on the field at RFK Stadium. In addition to my brother and his wife and some friends, I brought my parents. They had a blast. They loved the music (except for the space jam), loved that everyone was dancing, didn't mind all the joints being passed around (though they didn't partake).

My parents were generally conservative but open-minded when it came to music of any kind. 

I don't remember how many shows I went to, but not enough.

• Like 7

I caught Dead & Company last weekend at Fenway Park, and I must say they are at the top of their game.  Clearly the best post-1995 configuration.  There are still tickets available for this evening's performance at the soul-sucking Jiffy Lube Live in Bristow, VA.  Just sayin'..........

On 6/22/2017 at 1:43 PM, dcs said:

I caught Dead & Company last weekend at Fenway Park, and I must say they are at the top of their game.  Clearly the best post-1995 configuration.  There are still tickets available for this evening's performance at the soul-sucking Jiffy Lube Live in Bristow, VA.  Just sayin'..........

I'd love to go, but I've sworn off Jiffy Lubed. I went last year and the police and security presence was ridiculous. I guess they thought that a bunch of stoners were going to go on murderous rampages. Assholes.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2017 at 4:28 PM, Al Dente said:

I caught Dead & Company last weekend at Fenway Park, and I must say they are at the top of their game. 

caught the tour closer at Wrigley Field this past weekend. I'm a Dead noob, unqualified to make any relative claim. But as a concert taken by itself, it was pretty glorious. Much of the setlist was things I was familiar with, Oteil got lots of singing time, Johnny appears to be taking a more assertive role during jams (compared to the 2015 Verizon Center show, which was just awful in a bunch of ways), and I got to say hi to Bill Walton. Plus standing in the outfield at Wrigley doesn't suck -- the sound was great, weather cooperated, and the stadium staff are real pros. 

• Like 1