Becco, The Bastianich's Italian on Restaurant Row in the Theatre District

On 11/4/2016 at 8:43 AM, zgast said:

Becco on 46th might fit the bill.  

My go to in the Theater District isn't Italian, but I'll throw it out there anyway.  Casellula on 52nd St between 9th and 10th.  Cheese and light dishes.

Becco was pretty good (not amazing, but solid) the last time I was there (which was several years ago).  It is mobbed pre-theater, and then pretty empty while everyone is at their shows.

On 11/15/2016 at 3:58 PM, mtureck said:

Didn't want to head down to the Village, so stuck with Da Tommaso.

Very happy with it...baked clams, veal parm, linguini with white clam sauce...all exactly what I was looking for.

Short walk to the theater, so that worked out well too.

I'll have to try Piccolo Angolo when I have a bit more time in the city to compare.

Thanks.  "red sauce Italian" is one of my staples.  Over the last x years most of the times I've been in that area and for that purpose I've gone to Becco, which I enjoy, but is admittedly not the epitome of "red sauce Italian".   Time for a change.

Becco is fun & I do like going once in awhile, especially if the daily pastas are interesting that day.  However, it really isn't a solid red sauce joint.  If/when you hit NYC again, maybe I can get you to Parkside in Queens, the very definition of an old skool red sauce place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve R. said:

Becco is fun & I do like going once in awhile, especially if the daily pastas are interesting that day.

Two reasons why I've really enjoyed Becco for years.  One is nostalgic.  Becco hosted a terrific extended family party for my father years ago.  Everyone just loved it, especially my dad.  Per his request they went heavy garlic on some traditional dishes.  Oh boy that hit his taste buds and mine. 

The second reason is for the exactly how you describe it above.  Its fun.  The place gets very crowded for the after theater crowd.  Tables are remarkably close.  (crowded for some)  I like that.  I can recall conversations with couples from Long Island, Connecticut, the Outer Boroughs, visitors from out of the country and visitors into the city from around the nation.  One of those locals were regulars.  They raved about some dishes for us and the waitstaff. That enhanced service.

Okay, honestly, I can't remember the food being remarkable on any of those visits.  But geez its virtually always fun. 

But I'm up for a food change.

• Like 1

Just a note re the title.  I agree with Steve R, above.  Becco, in the main dining room, is not really a traditional red sauce Italian restaurant.  More modern menu.  It does have a very nice special of 3 pastas.  Check daily for what they are preparing. 

8 minutes ago, DaveO said:

Just a note re the title.  I agree with Steve R, above.  Becco, in the main dining room, is not really a traditional red sauce Italian restaurant.  More modern menu.  It does have a very nice special of 3 pastas.  Check daily for what they are preparing. 

[Oh, I thought he meant it wasn't a *solid* red-sauce joint, as in quality; he meant as a descriptor. I'll change that now, and will eventually delete these two posts. It did seem odd to me that the Bastianich's would open a red-sauce joint - I should have looked more carefully, but I spent a *lot* of time splitting up that thread and I'm exhausted.]

On 11/17/2016 at 10:45 AM, DonRocks said:

[Oh, I thought he meant it wasn't a *solid* red-sauce joint, as in quality; he meant as a descriptor. I'll change that now, and will eventually delete these two posts. It did seem odd to me that the Bastianich's would open a red-sauce joint - I should have looked more carefully, but I spent a *lot* of time splitting up that thread and I'm exhausted.]

I'm probably unclear exactly what's meant by a red-sauce joint then.  I was disappointed that it wasn't authentic Italian when I went.  Would also say it's definitely not on par with Bastainich's other places.

23 minutes ago, zgast said:

I'm probably unclear exactly what's meant by a red-sauce joint then.  I was disappointed that it wasn't authentic Italian when I went.  Would also say it's definitely not on par with Bastainich's other places.

Are "red-sauce joints" authentic Italian? Or are they exclusively Italian-American? I don't even know (they're not what I seek out when I'm in Italy, and I've never even been south of Rome).

Despite me being 25% Bolognese (my maternal grandfather arrived at Ellis Island on a boat), I've only been to the train station in Bologna.

Well, without trying to start a definitional argument that no one ever wins and usually never ends, I'll just say that what I meant by "red sauce place" was Italian American food that is pretty different from what's served anywhere in Italy I've ever gone, may be of low or high ingredient quality but is more "home cooking" than culinary school fare & is more likely to have menu items that folks of our American parents' & grandparents' generations would recognize.  So, meatballs with pasta as a main course or shrimp parmigiana with pasta & grated cheese would definitely be on the menu -- both served with red sauce/"gravy" .

• Like 2

16 hours ago, zgast said:

Its authentic.   Its the portion of Italy that moved to American cities and their burbs.  ;)   I did have it in Southern Italy but long ago. 

Its predominantly Italian-American.  BTW:  "gravy" describes the thickness of the red sauces.   They are thick.  Not all of their popular dishes are made w/ red sauce, though.  The menu in the restaurant Steve R referenced above has many of those traditional Italian American dishes that define "red sauce" restaurants. 

As to the Bastainich's restaurants; she is prolific.  I've been to 3, mostly Becco.  Enjoyed them.  I can't recall having a dinner at Becco where chatting was not dominant over the food;  always enjoyed it.  That's occurred so often I can't compare food quality to other places.

• Like 1