Large-Format Meals for Groups

What are the best large format meals in town these days?  I'm thinking something along the lines of the head-to-tail beef dinner that Palena Cafe (RIP) used to offer.

My family (six adults, two young kids) are looking to have a celebratory dinner at some point in the next month.  Based on a quick search, the options that I found were either the fried chicken or Bo Ssäm at Momofuku CCDC, or the pig feast at The Partisan.  Or maybe the two iberico pig large plates and a paella at Jaleo?

2 hours ago, silentbob said:

What are the best large format meals in town these days?  I'm thinking something along the lines of the head-to-tail beef dinner that Palena Cafe (RIP) used to offer.

My family (six adults, two young kids) are looking to have a celebratory dinner at some point in the next month.  Based on a quick search, the options that I found were either the fried chicken or Bo Ssäm at Momofuku CCDC, or the pig feast at The Partisan.  Or maybe the two iberico pig large plates and a paella at Jaleo?

wow, could you adopt me!! 

This sounds amazing. Ssam bar, in the city hands down, is incredible. Havent had a chance to visit Chang's outpost in DC. 

Not sure what your travel preferences are, but Parts & Labor, might be worth checking out. Its lead by the critically acclaimed  Chef Spike Gjerde of Woodberry Kitchen. His outpost is in Baltimore. Let me know what you decide on!!

-kat

21 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Hazel features "Ducked Up" - a duck-oriented dinner for a minimum of two guests, $50 per person (see the menu above).

Dino used to feature "Everything but the Quack" duck dinners on occasion as well (not sure about Dino's Grotto, but I don't see why they wouldn't).

Palena Cafe used to offer a head-to-tail beef dinner (24-hours notice, 6-people minimum, $50 per person), and Frank will be opening a new restaurant next year, so ....

Grapeseed's "Friday-Night Specials" often focus on an entire animal (to the chagrin of many a lust-infected man, Dina Matos McGreevey has never been said animal (at least not at Grapeseed; for those, you'd have needed to go to TGIFriday's, and the only complaints I've heard about them is that they were supposedly "hot as hell")).

• Like 1

Dino still does the special dinners here and there, but usually in quieter months. Right now they have the "Feast of the Seven Fish" going on through Xmas Eve, and they always let kids order separately during the special dinners. I haven't seen a Hanukkah menu come out yet, but it wouldn't surprise me to see one. Haven't seen the January events posted yet.

Grapeseed still does "tasting menus" most weekends, but they're generally only announced a few days in advance. But if you reach out to Jeff with a "large format" idea, with the weekend you want it to feature, I've seen that happen several times.

I know that SER in Ballston offers a whole suckling pig, called cochinillo.

The pig feast at the Partisan in Penn Quarter is what you can imagine from the Red Apron people....and you don't need to order it advance, they just bring it out from the kitchen on plate after plate after plate.

(When I first saw "large format" in the title, I was thinking Tony Roma's or Cheesecake Factory or one of those other slop-fests.)

The pig feast at the Partisan in Penn Quarter is what you can imagine from the Red Apron people....and you don't need to order it advance, they just bring it out from the kitchen on plate after plate after plate.

I don't see the Partisan feast on their website, or on any of the menus. Is it always available? Who has the details?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DanielK said:

I don't see the Partisan feast on their website, or on any of the menus. Is it always available? Who has the details?

Order in advance at Poste and The Partisan....the $120 pig feast at The Partisan includes pork head, sausage, smoked bone marrow, and assorted garnishes and sides, and serves four to six people.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DanielK said:

Those articles are a couple of years old, and the deep links to the restaurant websites are dead. So I wonder if either place is still offering this.

Don't forget also that Poste is now Dirty Habit (remember, the place with the politically incorrect "insane asylum" theme?)

Kapnos has a whole lamb or pork shoulder with greens and grains that was quite a big portion.  I forget the sides it came with.  I now it was a dinner I had with Eric and Sthitch so it is likely in the kapnos thread somewhere.  We had the lamb and it was excellent.  They also have whole chicken and branzino.  

17 hours ago, Simul Parikh said:

DBGB has a fun whole Pig dinner. I think it was like $400 or so.

You say 6 adults and 2 young children, we got this whole Pig for about 14 adults or so, and still took home leftovers.  Not complaining.  For a celebratory meal, this is the way to go and it makes for a pretty picture, too.  I went into this not really expecting a lot and was pleasantly surprised.  

10 hours ago, DaRiv18 said:

You say 6 adults and 2 young children, we got this whole Pig for about 14 adults or so, and still took home leftovers.  Not complaining.  For a celebratory meal, this is the way to go and it makes for a pretty picture, too.  I went into this not really expecting a lot and was pleasantly surprised.  

Interesting, because their website says this can be ordered "for up to 8 guests".

5 hours ago, DanielK said:

Interesting, because their website says this can be ordered "for up to 8 guests".

I thought it was 14 guests, but apparently when I went last year it was for 10.  New rules to limit it to 8?  There were sides and baked alaska that were included in the menu, so it was a lot.  

2 hours ago, DaRiv18 said:

I thought it was 14 guests, but apparently when I went last year it was for 10.  New rules to limit it to 8?  There were sides and baked alaska that were included in the menu, so it was a lot.  

It seems reasonable to guess that they made it smaller - I wonder if the price has changed.?

From DBGB's website:

$550 FOR UP TO 8 GUESTS SERVED FAMILY STYLE

DRINK

• For an additional $325 your table will enjoy a bottle of Pig’s Nose Whiskey and all the sommelier selected craft beer you can drink! Can’t finish your bottle of whiskey? Don’t worry! We’ll label your bottle and save it for you behind the bar. You’ll have your own DBGB whiskey stash for a later visit. If you’re not a whiskey fan then just wash down the pig with a selection of all you can drink draft beer for $225.

FIRST COURSE

• ARUGULA & FENNEL SALAD (watermelon radish, marcona almond, taggiasca olive, avocado, grenache vinaigrette)
  • TARTE FLAMBEÉ (fromage blanc, bacon, onion)

MAIN COURSE

• ROASTED SUCKLING PIG (pork loin, boudin blanc, apple, chestnut, mushroom, onion)
  • FINGERLING POTATO

• SEASONAL VEGETABLE

DESSERT

• BAKED ALASKA (green apple sorbet, cinnamon and vanilla ice cream, graham cracker biscuit swiss meringue flambéed with vanilla infused vodka)

On 12/20/2016 at 5:55 PM, DanielK said:

How do you make a *whole* suckling pig smaller?

On 12/20/2016 at 10:56 PM, jayandstacey said:

With a knife?

(did I win?)

You won - you made the Laugh Committee laugh. :)

[I had forgotten to index this thread, so if anyone was looking for it, here it is, under "To Experience."]