DonRocks

I remember first having Yukon Gold potatoes, maybe twenty or thirty years ago. Baked, by themselves, they had a silken, almost "wet" texture that was unmistakable.

Now, I baked some Yukon Golds, and I detect a distinct hint of Russet. Is it possible that, over the years and decades, there has been some cloning going on between the two? These have a "starchy," almost "yeasty" note that I'm almost certain Yukon Golds didn't possess twenty years ago. 

This yeasty-starchiness is in the bouquet, the texture, and even in the taste - three separate aspects of the potato. Not overwhelming, but present.

(I'm not good at very many things in this world, but for some reason, I have something close to a "photographic" palate memory, and I'm pretty sure these are starchier and more Russet-like than Yukon Golds used to be - there's almost a "graininess" to them; twenty years ago, they were silky, I'm sure they were. Have you ever smelled something, and a memory popped into your head that you hadn't thought of in decades? Same type of thing, except it happens to me a lot. To this day, I swear that the Fairfax McDonald's (across from Woodson H.S.), and *only* the Fairfax McDonald's, went through a period of about a year (this is about fifteen years ago) where they were using a tiny hint of turmeric in their mustard. Why? I have no idea, but I'd bet on it, and I wonder if McDonald's sometimes tries to "slip in" things like this for test marketing. It wasn't at all unpleasant, but it was nearly unmistakable, and then, one day, it was gone.)

Possible? Delusional? Any thoughts?

9 hours ago, DonRocks said:

These are organic, so they deteriorate faster, but they sure seem fresh to me.

Given that there has not been anything done to either potato in between the ground and your local store I do not believe there is any evidence that organic produce deteriorates more quickly. (if you have some I would love to read it.) Greens tend to last better in fact due to their somewhat slower growth producing thicker cell walls- I do not see why the same would not hold for taters.

At first I thought it unlikely that scientists had crossed some more russet in the potato.  I thought it more likely you had bought a mislabelled, starchier yellow potato.

But I asked the good people of Google and they pointed me to the writings of Dr. Potato of the Idaho Potato Commission.  In the doctor's answer (https://idahopotato.com/dr-potato/yukon-gold ), he said a couple of things that may confirm your suspicion.  He wrote, " While known for our russets, the Idaho climate produces a little drier (higher solids) yellow potato, often favored by chefs and restaurant owners."  He also wrote, "Over the years, manufacturers have found ways to have potato farmers grow a Yukon Gold variety with more solids or starch, and now these can be successfully promoted." 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SilverBullitt said:

At first I thought it unlikely that scientists had crossed some more russet in the potato.  I thought it more likely you had bought a mislabelled, starchier yellow potato.

But I asked the good people of Google and they pointed me to the writings of Dr. Potato of the Idaho Potato Commission.  In the doctor's answer (https://idahopotato.com/dr-potato/yukon-gold ), he said a couple of things that may confirm your suspicion.  He wrote, " While known for our russets, the Idaho climate produces a little drier (higher solids) yellow potato, often favored by chefs and restaurant owners."  He also wrote, "Over the years, manufacturers have found ways to have potato farmers grow a Yukon Gold variety with more solids or starch, and now these can be successfully promoted." 

Impressive palate, Don! Your tongue should be insured for a million dollars.

• Like 2