Verbal History of the original Hawk n Dove, Capitol Hill, and Stuart Long

DaveO

For you Capitol Hill denizens, DC historians, and fans of the original neighborhood hangout, The Hawk n Dove this interview gives Stuart Long's perspective on his long long involvement in Capitol Hill properties, operating the Hawk n Dove for 44 years, and other tidbits about current and old Washington DC.  Its longish but chock full of little tidbits such as the Hawk n Dove might have been a drop off point for Russian spies and that the Hawk originally closed a half hour earlier than the Tune Inn, because......(well you have to read it to find out)  ;)

• Like 1

Stuart Long, who passed away at the end of July was certainly one of Washington DC's significant restaurateurs over a long  period.  Besides his oral history from 2011 these two articles from the past reference his involvement in a number of different restaurants, the ones referenced alll on Capital Hill:

From 1977 an article that describes how tough the restaurant industry was at that time with its many start ups and failures.  Its always been a tough industry, possibly not that different today than from earlier periods.

From a more recent piece, albeit, 12 years ago, it references some of the Hill bars that Long operated (and ultimately closed), while maintaining the Hawk n' Dove for over 44 years.

I'm pretty sure he also opened some restaurants outside of Capital Hill having dealt with him on real estate issues somewhat during the 1980's.  I do recall Jenkins Hill, which like the Hawk 'n Dove was far more bar than restaurant, neither of which was known for spectacular food, though both in their day were fine neighborhood bars. 

The oral history is quite rich as a recollection from someone who had an impact as both private citizen and business person in Washington DC with most of that activity focusing on Capital Hill neighborhoods, its businesses, and Gonzaga High School.  It includes interesting interactions with the late Mayor Barry, and references to happenings that can only occur in Washington DC

As an aside, last Autumn when I ran into that story I was surprised to see toward the end of the interview  he discussed commercial properties he owned and  referenced a property he failed to purchase, the corner buildings at Pennsylvania Avenue and 2nd Street, NE.  His description of the transaction is accurate.  Though not mentioned, and he didn't know of my involvement, I was the person that brokered the sale to the other buyer, and was the person who discovered all the existing rental rates, details that only he and the tenants would have known.  It spurred my memory of that transaction.  It occurred in 1984, and boy it stayed vivid in his memory (and I guess mine), as I can verify the other offers, then Madison Bank, having offered the 3rd highest amount, the description of the buyer, etc. 

Back to the Hawk n Dove:  Though not a regular I was a consistent customer in the 80's and 90's though less frequent afterwards, simply because I spent less time on the Hill.  A damn good neighborhood bar imho.  Beer, regular bar food, consistent burgers, and generally more interesting conversations than most neighborhood bars.  He did a great job with that restaurant/bar. 

• Like 2