Booker's Price To Laughably Increase to $100 a Bottle

DonRocks

In an attempt to make their mediocre product seem more upscale, Beam Suntory is raising the price of Booker's Bourbon to $100. There isn't a single liquor store in town where it isn't sitting on the shelves right now for nearly $40; I guess they think The Idiot Wind will blow people into the liquor stores if it costs $100.

What a joke.

People seem to be intimidated by Fred Noe because he uses the word "fuck" a lot; he sure seems like nothing but a huckster to me. For him to peddle that God-awful Red Stag cherry Bourbon of Jim Beam's with a straight face is a crime against humanity.

"Is Booker's Bourbon Set To Go Up, Up, Up in Price?" by Chuck Cowdery on thewhiskeywash.com

"Beam Suntory To Increase Booker's SRP to $99.99" by Fred Minnick on fredminnick.com

If you only follow my advice once in your lifetime, make it right now: Don't buy into the psychological manipulation that Beam Suntory is attempting to implant in your brains. Booker's is a middling product, at best, and always will be - this is a blatant attempt at duping the consumer into believing that "if it costs a lot, then it must be good," and once the media frenzy dies down, people will be walking into liquor stores, staring down bottles of Booker's "marked down" to $95. Listen to me here: Don't buy another bottle of Booker's - not even at $40 - and make this giant conglomerate pay for their greed. If nothing else, this is one of the shrewdest marketing schemes I've ever witnessed: Right in time for the holidays (isn't that convenient?), consumers are being alerted that if they rush out to the liquor stores, they can stock up on this product, soon to be $100, and get all they can purchase for only $40-50 a bottle ... what an amazing opportunity!

Yeah, right. Blow me.

Do yourselves a favor and buy *two* bottles of Donnhoff Spätlesen instead. Please?

Or if you want one, widely available, special bottle as a gift, walk into any Total Wine and buy a bottle of Graham's 30-Year-Old Tawny Port for $100 instead of buying a bottle of Booker's. Please trust me on this one.

The best idea of all? Call Joe Riley at Ace Beverage and ask him what he thinks. 

• Like 2

There are a number of bourbons better than Bookers at its current price much less at its future $100 price point.

Part of this, I think, is driven by the success of their limited edition Bookers Rye (retail, $300).  In my opinion it is one of the most unique (and best tasting) rye's I've ever enjoyed - and now that it has won numerous "whiskey of the year" awards - the secondary tariff is approaching $550 a bottle.  That said, its also my understanding that this was a one off "experiment" for this first batch of rye.