Whatever happened to...

Kanishka

I realize even asking this question would violate people's privacy, but I'm constantly curious about where members who were once very active have gone off to.  Like me:  it's easy to write about restaurants as someone who is DC-based, dual income, no kids.  Now I'm a father of three and live in the geographic armpit of Africa.  There are so many posts I want to write, especially in the Intrepid Traveler forum, but then I have a diaper to change so there goes that (spoiler alert:  the Star Alliance Business Class Lounge in the Istanbul airport is AWESOME.)

Which leads me to my question.  One which may be unwelcome.   Where are some of the "original," early members now?  Like Nadya, or Bilrus, or Jacques Gastreaux, or MDT? Hillvalley is still around it seems.  And I'm sure I' forgetting a million (I find real names easier to remember than pseudonyms.)

Like any gathering place (which is how I characterize this site) people come and people go.  And some people stay forever.  But for those of us, like me, who disappear, or just stop hanging out, what's up?

And to all of you, I hope you are happy, healthy, and happy again.

Nostalgically yours,

Kanishka

PS:  If PMs are more appropriate ways to respond, I understand.  I realize some of our former friends may not be around for less than fun reasons.

• Like 3

We're around. We just don't get out as much as we used to. I see most of the old guard once every few months.

As for me - Peanut is 12. Edgy is 8. Mrs JPW started her own company doing corporate branding. I'm management now which means more money, but less time for exploring DC's culinary treats (it also means that you don't actually do anything, you just make sure that things get done). About to pay a very nice man an insane amount of money to put an addition on our house to include a master suite, a man cave, and a wine cellar.

And so it goes.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, JPW said:

We're around. We just don't get out as much as we used to. I see most of the old guard once every few months.

As for me - Peanut is 12. Edgy is 8. Mrs JPW started her own company doing corporate branding. I'm management now which means more money, but less time for exploring DC's culinary treats (it also means that you don't actually do anything, you just make sure that things get done). About to pay a very nice man an insane amount of money to put an addition on our house to include a master suite, a man cave, and a wine cellar.

And so it goes.

I cannot believe Peanut is 12.

Joe, you should talk to me before building your wine cellar - I know everything you need to do *except* the actual construction portion, and I will help you. Unless this person specializes in wine cellars (and I believe David Spon has moved), there are very specific things about them you need to know - ten minutes on the phone will go a long way.

One general rule (not something we need to discuss) which almost always turns out to be true: Take whatever-sized cellar you think you need, and make it 50% larger than that.

• Like 3

On 3/13/2017 at 10:01 AM, JPW said:

Let's round up the ol' gang and meet this summer for a good ol' fashion DR picnic!! After all Rocks offered to pick up the tab for the venue, but that is where it ends. We can all chip in to make this one more memorable than the last. It would be nice to see some old familiar faces, as well as meet new ones.

Oldie, but goodie,

kat

• Like 1