Pimax (1975-) - Post-Pop, "Urban Militant" Artist from Montreuil, Currently Working Out of Paris

curiouskitkatt

1 hour ago, kitkatpaddywak said:

Can someone please help me identify the artist who is the brain behind this piece?

A colleague told me it may be Mr Brainwash?

In learning about Art, I wish there was Shazam app for Art identification. 

I am your Shazam app - not because I'm any sort of expert, but because I know a little, and have an insatiable curiosity to learn more. 

Like many others, I went straight to Andy Warhol and the era of Pop Art since he did some Campbell's Soup pieces. However, Mr. Brainwash is an *excellent* guess as well.

However, I figured that if it was Warhol, you'd probably already know, so I rolled up my sleeves and did some research. Note that it says something like "PIMAS" on the bottom, but that isn't giving me the answer.

So I went across the gallery, and tried to figure out who might fabricate an old-fashioned post-office box with someone's face on it, and I can't figure out who it is.

Did you take this picture? And if so, where was it taken?

• Like 1

On 12/25/2016 at 6:51 PM, DonRocks said:

I am your Shazam app - not because I'm any sort of expert, but because I know a little, and have an insatiable curiosity to learn.

Did you take this picture? And if so, where was it taken?

This is why adore Donrockwell.com!! 

One stop shop for all that I need to know...

But to answer your question, I did not see this piece "in person", but rather virtually. 

I find that Instagram is an incredible  virtual gallery, but in this case , the piece was posted without any information. Follow art_pycho, you won't be disappointed!!

curiosity is my middle name,

I really should have been in forensics.

I can't tell if that's a "PL" or a "P I."

The museum appears to be poorly funded, and not a great amount of care has gone into designing this room.

All five works are fine, but I just don't know what any of them are - the one appears to be a non-American post-office box, but I can make out neither the name nor the face (it may say "Postes.")

Do you have the Instagram page or user name? I'm not convinced this is in America, but it might be.

8 hours ago, DonRocks said:

art_psycho is a robot.

I have enlisted my voracious brain to dig deep. I attempted to use goodle image search, with no definitive findings, other than leading to other Abstract artist blogs.  I will get to the bottom of this. Its a challenge. I love challenges.

sleuthin' it out,

kat

On 12/28/2016 at 0:22 PM, kitkatpaddywak said:

I have enlisted my voracious brain to dig deep. I attempted to use goodle image search, with no definitive findings, other than leading to other Abstract artist blogs.  I will get to the bottom of this. Its a challenge. I love challenges.

sleuthin' it out,

kat

Found it!!!

PIMAX Sculptures

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kitkatpaddywak said:

Found it!!!

PIMAX Sculptures

I don't know how in God's name you found this, but ... good work!

We now know that the word on the bottom of that sculpture is PIMAX, and PIMAX seems like some sort of "art factory" with a very bawdy sense of humor. 

The website is based in France, and they say they have free delivery in Paris - I don't see the name of any one individual, but the works all seem to have a common theme, so they do appear to be the work of one individual (maybe that individual goes by the trade name "PIMAX?")

I'm fluent in French, and can still make neither hide nor hair of this website - it just doesn't make any sense!

Anyway, the picture may be from a gallery featuring one of PIMAX's works - the others don't have the same character, which is why I'm guessing the top picture is a retail art gallery, and not a museum.

To my amateurish eyes, PIMAX looks like he has some talent (it's a "he" - see the article below); I just don't know *anything* about the person, or the company, or whatever the hell it is. 

---

Okay, I found an article about him - Pimax (pronounced pee-max) was born in 1975 in the eastern Parisian suburb of Montreuil. He is a post-American-Pop, "Urban Militant" artist very much influenced by Warhol, but also with a Björk-like edge to him.

PIMAX Facebook page

Nov 1, 2014 - "Studio Visit: Pimax (Paris)" on butterflyartnews.com

"Pimax Artist Profile" on urbacolors.com

The man certainly has a sense of humor: "Love Hurts" (the iconic original is by Robert Indiana).

I kind of like his work!

• Like 2